You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-3-2018 18:17:06  #1

Remington 5 Deluxe problems

Hello everyone.

I recently bought a Remington 5 Deluxe that is in really nice shape. I have two main problems:

1) The carriage release is permanently activaded. This means that the carriage runs freely all the time, it never stops. If I press the carriage release lightly, then it remains stopped. Its seems that something is bent down there, I don't know.

2) The carriage release lever is loose. It seems that its spring doens't work or it's lost. It just stays there "floppy". If I skip a line with it, it doens't come back to its original position. I can see the spring just underneath the lever, but I don't know if it is the problem nor what should I do to fix it.

3) There's another thing that I don't know it it's a problem exactly. I have the feeling that the paper holder is permanently on. Whether I active it or not, the platen roll nevers runs freely has it should when you release the holder. Is there something wrong? Maybe it's a characteristic of this model that I don't know...

Any tips on solving these questions I would really appreciate.

07-3-2018 12:31:13  #2

Re: Remington 5 Deluxe problems

Update and edit.

I think I found a solution for the problem 1). I had to bend a little with a pliers the carriage release mechanism behind the machine so it would lock the carriage.

Now, about 2). I wrote it wrongly: it is the line space lever that it's a mess, not the carriage release lever. I found out that the spring below the lever is broken, so I'll have to replace it. All the pieces are loose, there's something really wrong here and I don't a clue on how to fix it. Can someone help me?

Thanks for the attention!

07-3-2018 16:58:43  #3

On some Remingtons, there’s a washer between the right side of the platen and the inside of the right side of the frame.  It’s hard to get into place, but it applies pressure on the mechanics of the left side of the carriage, allowing it to all work smoothly.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

08-3-2018 07:23:48  #4

Thank you, Lucas Dul! I'll try that!

08-3-2018 13:08:51  #5

So, the washer is there, but the line lever still doesn't work.

Here, I made a video to show how it looks:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SCUIvS0U0C4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

08-3-2018 13:10:34  #6

Sorry, I shared the link wrongly.

08-3-2018 21:30:03  #7

Excellent video, thank you very much.  It just seems like the return leaver isn’t springing back.  Is this the only issue?  If so, make sure it’s free to move, sometimes if it’s a little sticky, it won’t wanna spring back.  Can you provide a photo of the mechanism underneath the carriage, and maybe from behind and above as well?

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

10-3-2018 08:24:11  #8

Here are the photos!

10-3-2018 08:25:40  #9

10-3-2018 13:21:26  #10

Hi Chicoliro

​The last picture shows your problem perfectly. Look at the coiled spring under the short lever, notice how the bottom coil just stops. Now look to the right of the spring as pictured and you'll see a small pin with a groove cut round it. The bottom end of the spring would have had a hook that hooked around that pin. One may be able to form a new hook in the end of the spring with some heat and careful bending. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera