You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-3-2018 15:13:55  #1

Waiting on the Mail

Hi there!

While I spend nervous days waiting for my typewriter to ship over from Europe (my first one from overseas—terribly nervous about it arriving safely) I thought I’d see if I wasn’t the only one counting the slow days until a package gets placed (or dropped or thrown more likely) on your doorstep—or, in my case, to arrive at my post office after they leave a note in my apartment’s mailbox saying that they can’t (or won’t) just leave it in the lobby.

So, anyone waiting for the mail to come? What for?

Presently, I’m waiting on a black Erika 10 I bought. I’ve heard some excellent things, so here’s hoping it’s what I’ve been waiting for. Finger’s crossed.

P.S. If anyone has any tips for making the time pass or instructions on how to use the power of my mind to will the post office to deliver it more quickly, I’m open to all suggestions.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

08-3-2018 15:35:27  #2

Re: Waiting on the Mail

Fingers crossed, indeed. Let us know. Can you track it at all?

08-3-2018 15:50:35  #3

Fleetwing wrote:

Fingers crossed, indeed. Let us know. Can you track it at all?

Not until it enters the U.S. and gets in the hands of USPS. Not quite sure how long that will take. I'm sure shipping from Europe is pretty routine, but for some reason I've heard that the length of shipping can vary quite a bit...

I guess this is one of those "misery loves company" situations. I wanna know who else is in my shoes.  

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

08-3-2018 20:26:11  #4

I am currently waiting on two; a Smith Corona Secretarial 76 and a Remington Noiseless; a late one from the 50s or early 60s. Always wanted to find one and I'm taking a chance on one from Ebay. Hopefully both arrive safely.
I am never afraid of getting a portable in one piece... the case should protect it... but those heavy standards...
One never knows what to expect when opening a box containing a standard. I am okay getting one with a broken platen knob... but I shudder to find broken metal....
I think your Erika will be fine. As I said, the case should protect it.
Good luck! Please keep us posted!

09-3-2018 00:01:00  #5

I've had good luck with this site for all international tracking no matter where it's from or where it's going; seems to find most things...
https://t.17track.net/en#nums=LX023521543CN

Sincerely,
beak.

09-3-2018 00:29:15  #6

beak wrote:

I've had good luck with this site for all international tracking no matter where it's from or where it's going; seems to find most things...
https://t.17track.net/en#nums=LX023521543CN

beak, you may have found one if my new favorite websites. Excellent. Many thanks.

09-3-2018 00:30:53  #7

OliverNo.9 wrote:

I am currently waiting on two; a Smith Corona Secretarial 76 and a Remington Noiseless; a late one from the 50s or early 60s. Always wanted to find one and I'm taking a chance on one from Ebay. Hopefully both arrive safely.
I am never afraid of getting a portable in one piece... the case should protect it... but those heavy standards...
One never knows what to expect when opening a box containing a standard. I am okay getting one with a broken platen knob... but I shudder to find broken metal....

That's exactly why I've never bought a standard machine online. Good luck with your shipments as well!

09-3-2018 07:21:19  #8

tricnomistal wrote:

OliverNo.9 wrote:

tricnomistal, thank you!
That's exactly why I've never bought a standard machine online. Good luck with your shipments as well!

16-3-2018 21:44:13  #9

I'm just waiting for some parts for a Smith Premier 4 to arrive.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

18-3-2018 12:33:12  #10

colrehogan wrote:

I'm just waiting for some parts for a Smith Premier 4 to arrive.

Is that the one with a double keyboard?

Board footera