You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-3-2018 14:23:35  #1

Anyone got ideas on what models to make new feet for?

Hello again all,

Thinking of doing another run of feet, hopefully for longer this time. These will be hard rubbery feet, not those really soft and squishy ones I did before. 

So... Any ideas on some models that need new feet? If you are interested in getting new feet, and have the model on hand, I would love to work with you on getting some measurements. I slimmed down my collection to one typewriter, so cant really get the common model measurements :/. I am not sure on what I will give people who do this for me yet, but thinking of a set of free feet maybe...?

Anyways, respond below! Also would love to hear about other rubbery or soft parts, or even regular plastic/metal that have long since disintegrated that people are in need of! (Unsure of exactly what else besides feet and the type rest...). 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-3-2018 23:25:07  #2

Re: Anyone got ideas on what models to make new feet for?

Hi TW Guy

If your 3D printer or what ever you use is capable, feet for the 1930's to 1940's Underwood portables may be an idea.

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

15-3-2018 00:01:41  #3

What rubber do you use?

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

15-3-2018 00:02:01  #4

skywatcher wrote:

Hi TW Guy

If your 3D printer or what ever you use is capable, feet for the 1930's to 1940's Underwood portables may be an idea.

Sky

Especially the trapezoidal ones on the Champions and Universals, not only because it is a hard shape to DIY, but because they are notoriously falling off or missing on these models.

21-3-2018 13:50:50  #5

Great ideas guys! Do any of you happen to have a few or one on hand?

Lucas, it's TPU.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

21-3-2018 18:23:19  #6

I've got a Royal KMM with feet so squashed, I can barely get my fingers under it. I have access to another KMM with good feet I could get some pictures of. Is rubber the best material to use? I'd thought about having my dad make some feet from wood and glueing a thin piece of rubber to the bottom.

21-3-2018 21:40:23  #7

I made feet for one of my royals out of pure silicon shower caulk.  I posted the process on my blog, and it came out quite well.  I didn’t have a propper mould or shape, so they’re basically just squares of rubber.  I’ll try again soon, but my only issue was their lack of grip.  I’m not sure if silicon is the best way to go.  It slips and slides too much.

22-3-2018 04:27:25  #8

Distintegrating feet on Imperial 50/55/58 etc. is a common problem here in the UK.  On two occasions I have had to make hardwood replacements for customers.  Just as well I had a period as a professional woodworker before going back into repairing typewriters full-time.  They say no experience is ever wasted !  Look up June 2015 to see what I mean !  http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/typofmon15.html 

22-3-2018 14:37:52  #9

thetypewriterman wrote:

Distintegrating feet on Imperial 50/55/58 etc. is a common problem here in the UK.  On two occasions I have had to make hardwood replacements for customers.  Just as well I had a period as a professional woodworker before going back into repairing typewriters full-time.  They say no experience is ever wasted !  Look up June 2015 to see what I mean !  http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/typofmon15.html 

That is a very good idea, however I feel the purpose of typewriter feet is to keep the machine in place, and somewhat cushion the noise.  I don’t believe that wood is best suited for this.

22-3-2018 15:21:06  #10

Hi Lucas

​If the machine has wooden feet, just set it on a good thick felt pad and it won't go anywhere. I have an Underwood 6 that's sitting on 4 carriage bolts (round head down) for feet, works perfectly on a ¾" thick felt typewriter pad. Also have a Facit 1620 with no feet, I put it on a square of ½" thick carpet underlay and type away. All the best,

​Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera