You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-4-2018 16:43:56  #1

Paint bare spots, repaint whole machine or leave alone?

I just picked up a Royal custom today at a flea market for $5. It is a classic mustard yellow so I'm guessing it must be a 70's machine (looks like a sabre a bit). It has several areas where the paint is worn to the metal. Would you try to patch those areas, repaint the whole machine or just leave it? It was purely an impulse buy so I'm willing to experiment, I'm wondering what everyone else would do in this situation. Thanks, Jeff

14-4-2018 20:23:45  #2

Re: Paint bare spots, repaint whole machine or leave alone?

Doesn’t sound too rare.  Touching it up might make it look worse.  It’s difficult to match the color exactly, and to get the finish even.  I’d say repaint the entire thing.  It would probably be worth more with a cool paint job, than a crappy one with worn spots.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

14-4-2018 20:58:07  #3

Leave it alone, I say. As Lucas Dul says, it's easy to do a bad paint job. That applies whether you're repainting the original color, or trying to give it a new color.

15-4-2018 08:01:21  #4

Repainting a typewriter is a long and arduous labour of love - if it is to be done well and look great afterwards.
Major diasassembly
Removing all traces of previous finishes
priming
spray1
spray2
reassembly.

Touching out patches is also a task requiring great skill at colour and surface finish matching, as mentioned already.  No reason not to do it, as long as you go into the work knowing what you are undertaking.  Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera