You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-2-2014 14:36:08  #1

Smith Corona Corsair - A few missing parts?

Hi all and greetings from the UK,

I've recently purchased a second hand Smith Corona Corsair for my lady who's just getting into producing her own zines.  It was in decent working condition when i recieved it and just needed a thorough clean.  Now the problem I'm having is with the carriage return lever and line spacing.  I am pretty sure I am missing a spring to keep the arm afloat as it rests on the typewritter hood and is pretty limp.  Also no matter if the line spacing switch is on 1 or 2 it return the page up to 4 times depending on the position of the lever.  If anyone with this typewriter or a similiar model could take the time to observe the following photos and compare it to their own I'd really appreciate it.  You can see on the the arm there is a little hole which i believe is where one end of a small spring would fix on to.

I've just realised i cannot post links (for pics until i've posted a couple of times) Please scroll down for photos.  

Anyways thank you in advance - all feedback welcome.

Jayson

14-2-2014 14:39:12  #2

Re: Smith Corona Corsair - A few missing parts?

Also does anyone know if the lever next to the line spacing width lever is the carriage lock lever?  If so am i right in thinking towards the user is "LOCKED - for travelling" away from the user is "UNLOCKED - for typing."

14-2-2014 14:40:41  #3

Photos:

14-2-2014 15:23:37  #4

The bad news is that you're missing at least one spring (see photos below), but the good news is that it's a spring that should be easy enough to source.

However, I would question the logic of wanting to fix the machine. The Corsair (along with others of the period) are terrible typewriters. And aside from the missing part, there seems to be other damage to the end of the carriage. You're missing the lever plastic for the platen release (it's not a carriage lock) and the plastic carriage trim in that area is cracked and missing pieces. There's also something amiss with the angle of line advance lever - it appears to have been bent outward, maybe it got caught on something?

My advice would be to buy another typer - an older Smith-Corona model would be a substantial upgrade in performance and quality to the Corsair. Actually, almost any other portable would be a better investment.

Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-2-2014 05:27:01  #5

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for getting back to us - greatly appreciated.  Yeh I havn't read the best of things about this machine in terms of quality but it's not me using it and the misses likes the inconsistencies and wonky letters (i did attempt to bend them straight and was told to bend them back!)  Plus it was only £10 i didn't feel i could go wrong with it.  Anyways looking from the photos it looks like it might just be a spring - the arm probbaly looks mishapen in some of the photos but that is just due to the fact i can lift the arm at different angles without the limitations/ resistance of the missing spring.  Amazon sell boxes of assorted springs so may pick up one and experiment as i need some more springs for other projects.  Out of interest would you be able to give us a rough measurement of the spring when fully retracted?

I may take a few more bits off and put up some more photos incase theres other pieces missing from that area.  It is abit annoying about the chipped/ cracked casing and missing plastic levers but luckily these are just cosmetic flaws, I'm assuming platen release is for removal of the platen?

All the best,

Jayson

16-2-2014 15:34:59  #6

Jayson, the spring is approximately 21 mm in overall length. It's compressed/coiled section is around 14 mm. As for it's guage, it will of course have to fit through the hole at the end of the lever. Since it's a very common spring type I wouldn't think that you will have too much trouble finding one that will fit.

The platen release is not for the removal of the platen. The lever disengages the gearing for the line advance mechanism and allows you to freely spin the platen. Try it out and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with the repair and let us know how you make out with it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-2-2014 06:52:32  #7

Thanks for getting back to me with the spring dimensions Uwe - luckily a Uk forum member PM'd me that he has the spring I'm after and can have it for a few quid inc postage, saves me a bit of hassle.  

Anyways been meaing to get some images and post them up but the girlfriend has been on the typewriter a lot this week and I've only just got around to doing it.  If you guys wouldn't mind just having a wee look.  The first photo just shows everything I've taken off the typewriter, the hex key bolts have been left in the platen knobs.  Now apart from the obvious missing cosmetic parts and spring are there any other issues you guys can spot?  The line spacing lever (the one that swtiches between 1 & 2) doesn't seem to interact with the rest of the system so I'm thinking I may be missing something there too?

Anyways appreciate the help, 

Cheers

Jayson

Last edited by Lace'd Taste (21-2-2014 06:55:40)

21-2-2014 18:01:25  #8

Beautiful photos and great detail, which makes all the difference when trying to troubleshoot a problem online. Looks to me like the tab on the backside of the line advance lever is broken off. It's that tab that hits the line selector and dictates how far the line advance lever will travel. 

Look at your third photo. The lever in question is the one attached to the spring and is currently hanging downward (it should be turned 180 degrees when it's properly positioned). You can see at the end of it a small tab that is bent toward the inside of the carriage, which is what engages the gear on the end of the platen to turn it. Just above that tab there should be another facing the opposite direction, toward the outside of the machine, which is what hits the line selector. Since it appears to be broken off the platen is probably always turning at least two lines at a time. 

Hope that makes sense. I hope that's all that's wrong, but without tearing my machine apart to compare, I don't see anything else that's obvious,

22-2-2014 04:05:33  #9

Morning Uwe,

Yeh I'm always on the net asking questions and know when it comes to taking photos it's best to try and cover all angles with as much detail as possible.  I pretty sure i know exactly what you mean now regarding photo 3, see edited image below.  The platen can move up to four lines - very annoying so we avoid using the carriage return lever as just that and manual push the carriage then use the lever to careful feed the paper one line. 

Anyays hoping this guy im getting the spring from might also have the other part, i'll keep you up to date.  Also on another note - i knida joined these forums basically to just get help with my girlfriends Corsair but after you talking about Olympias I've found myself really wanting one, some beautiful examples on Youtube, the typing looks so much lighter and responsive compared to this thing!

Cheers again,

Jayson

22-2-2014 15:14:17  #10

Jayson, you nailed the piece in question in your highlighted photo. The missing tab, which would be exactly dead center of the circle, goes through the opening the arrow points to.

I appreciate your efforts to repair this machine. Every typewriter saved from the scrap heap is a step toward preservation of these mechanical machines. And even if you don't get the part, the machine is still usuable, even if it does function more like a '30s Remington Cadet (they didn't come with a line advance lever!) than a '70s model.

I know you didn't spend a lot for the little plastic typer, but if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find other machines for the same price that type 100 times better. Trust me, if your girlfriend was to try one of these better machines in comparison, she would see the light and realise that she was wasting her time with the Corsair. She might like typing with her Corsair, but she will LOVE typing with a better quality machine. Honestly, the difference is that dramatic. 

Board footera