You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-5-2018 11:26:27  #1

Blickensderfer 7 platen removal

Hello,
This is my first adventure into this forum or any forum for that matter. There seems to be a number of experts who contribute to the discussions and although I have not found a great deal on Blicks I am sure someone out there will have the answer to my problem.
The Blick I have recently acquired is generally in pretty good nick apart from the platen rubber which is complete but split along the length and roller behind the platen which has a pronounced flat. I can’t do anything about this until I get the platen separated from the carriage. This appears to be very difficult without removing the platen knobs. However, I find no grub-screws in the knobs and am assuming that the knobs are threaded on to the spindle. I am reluctant to try unscrewing without being sure I am on the right track, Bakelite is very brittle especially when old and the last thing I want to do is ruin a beautiful machine.
I would add a picture but haven’t yet worked out how to do it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Woodman

31-5-2018 14:31:39  #2

Re: Blickensderfer 7 platen removal

I totally cannot help you with your Blick, though I would love to have one someday. I think there are a number of contributors here who can help, though.

And welcome! I'm kind of amazed that you've avoided the world of online forums (fora?) until now, but you have chosen well!

31-5-2018 15:48:56  #3

Thanks for your welcome. I am normally a “work it out for yourself” sort of chap but this time I am really stuck.
I started getting interested in typewriters about four years ago, my first being a Hermes Baby which remains one of my favourites but  after an initial burst of eBay purchases of 1950s and 60s machines, all portables, I have turned to earlier machines and the Blick is my latest and may be my last purchase unless I can find a pre 1900 Blick 5.
Mechanical things have always been a fascination. Started with vintage cars, moved to motorcycles and now I am too old for such things so have reduced the size to typewriters and life goes on a bit longer!
I’ll wait patiently for the experienced Blick surgeon to contact. Cheers

31-5-2018 20:01:05  #4

Sounds like you'd also be a natural with mechanical cameras -- you fit a lot of those in a closet. Don't ask me how I know.

01-6-2018 01:53:36  #5

Ah, yes. I did go through a photography phase as well. I have recently passed my last film camera on to my grand-daughter who is now the proud owner of a Rolleiflex given by her aunt. I was a bit upstaged!

01-6-2018 05:40:11  #6

A Rollei is quite the gift!

11-6-2018 09:44:49  #7

I found a guideline for disassembly of the Blick 5 and 6: https://catch55.home.xs4all.nl/projects/blick6/
I do not know how similar in structure those are to the 7 since I never had the chance to get my hands on one but maybe that helps.

02-12-2018 07:52:43  #8

Back from the dead! Sorry about this long absence and particularly apologies to Totally Not Ben whose contribution I did not acknowledge.
However, I have found the solution to my own problem which may be of use to anyone encountering the same problem. The thing is that the Blick 5 does not have a knob on the left end of the platen as does the No: 7. Logically, I thought, the left hand knob would have a left hand thread, however, this is not the case. In fact both knobs have a conventional right hand thread.
You may have noticed that a six month delay has occurred since I opened this thread. It took this time for me to raise enough courage to try a little force, there again I have 83 years of life behind me and things move fairly slowly at this age!
Happy tapping.

Board footera