You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-7-2018 17:16:41  #1

Help identifying this Royal

Could you guys helo me to identify this Royal?

I'm not sure if it is a Royal Aristocrat, Arrow, Companion, Quiet De Luxe or what... I don't think it's a Companion because it has a tabulator. And it seems that it has magic margins on both sides. So maybe a Quiet De Luxe?

I'm note sure if I should buy this. It's not in great conditions, and I'm not sure I can get some of that rust off. But it's on auction and the price is around 25-30$, so I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

What do you guys think?

16-7-2018 16:53:38  #2

Re: Help identifying this Royal

The lever on the right is the paper release, not a Magic Margin. Based on the design of its case, it was made between '39 and '47. It's definitely not a Varsity, Mercury or Signet. And most likely - based on features - not an Arrow or Aristocrat either. My guess is that it's a Quiet De Luxe that is missing the trim piece under its ribbon cover, or less likely some department store custom. Can you get its serial number?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-7-2018 21:22:07  #3

I'm afraid I can't. Because it's auctioning in an online auction house. 

The problem for me is actually to know if is worth to buy this machine. Now it's around R$ 80 ($23 dolars), and I must bid R$90 ($25). Plus, I should pay the shipping, that is, R$40 ($12). I'll be paying something like $40 on this machine... What do you think?

18-7-2018 12:22:06  #4

Given its apparent overall condition, I would pass on that machine. It's already missing a part, could have all kinds of mechanical issues, and who knows what might happen to it during shipping. Where is it located? R$40 seems awfully inexpensive for shipping a typewriter. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-7-2018 20:24:03  #5

I'm sorry, I dont' think I made myself clear.

I'm from Brazil, from São Paulo. The machine was located in Rio de Janeiro. The auction was at R$90 (brazilian reals), the shipping probably around R$40 (12 dolars aprox.), so everything would cost 130 reals (aprox 40 dolars). Anyway, the auction is over and I didn't bid again. I guess you were right: if a piece was missing, what else could be wrong?

I appreciate.

29-7-2018 08:37:18  #6

Yes, that looks a lot like a Quiet Deluxe... see this one I just purchased in very nice condition (though comparing to your photo, it looks like I am missing a middle lever )

29-7-2018 09:49:24  #7

Yes, it looks like  a Quiet Deluxe.

Anyway, I lost the auction. I thought, like Uwe, that the price was a little high for something that might come with some problems.

Thanks for the picture!

Board footera