You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-8-2018 06:59:47  #1

Remington Noiseless Portable - no bell...?

My RNP doesn't have a bell ring at the end of the line. I got a basic clean and set up at my local typewriter shop, and the guy there said he couldn't find anything to indicate there ever having been a bell. I've read that the, or some, original Noiseless-brand machines did not have a bell, but I thought that by the time Remington stepped in, they all got bells from then on. Any insight into Bellgate?

08-8-2018 07:03:35  #2

Re: Remington Noiseless Portable - no bell...?

I should maybe add the serial number: N73484.

08-8-2018 16:48:44  #3

I'm pretty sure that your machine should have a bell - albeit a very tiny, quiet 'polite' one.  Have a look under the machine and you should see one.  It may just be that it is not being triggered.  There is also the outside possibility that someone has actually removed the bell in the past.  I've seen this done on other portables.

08-8-2018 17:11:44  #4

[img]RNP bell2 by Rob MacKillop, on Flickr[/img]

Trying to get an image of the back to upload here...is that round thing the bell?

09-8-2018 02:43:19  #5

Yes, the round thing is the bell, and the silver thing below it on the photo is the bell clapper.  And the man in the typewriter shop said there wasn't one ?  Shame on him

09-8-2018 03:04:14  #6

Yes, I think my local guy has revealed the extent of his knowledge. I'll be sending this one to you eventually, Tom, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to get the bell ringing?

09-8-2018 15:08:34  #7

At the risk of pushing in, I'd say try moving the carriage back and forth to try and trip the bell (so, near the right hand margin). See what moves -- could be that things are just dirty and gummed up, so the mechanism can't make the clapper move enough. Brushing mineral spirits to the mechanism might be enough to get it dinging!

09-8-2018 16:18:11  #8

Actually, I would go with what Fleetwing has told you.  Follow the clapper mechanism up the back of the machine to see why it hasn't been tripped.  If you are tempted to lubricate anything, use sewing machine oil - NEVER WD-40 !

09-8-2018 17:46:11  #9

I'm not sure if this 60-seconds video will make clear what is and what is not working:

https://youtu.be/3Slq7AIh97g 

10-8-2018 03:19:05  #10

OK - diagnosis time !  Look at the two screw heads immediately next to the bell trigger on the back of the machine.  You can see, trapped underneath them, the remains of a hairpin spring that should push the trigger into engangement with the right margin.  The end of the hairpin spring has broken off and been lost.  Making a new one isn't easy !

Board footera