You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-9-2018 20:31:55  #1

1946 Smith Corona Sterling

Does anyone who owns a Smith Corona Sterling from this era know how the carriage return lever springs back?  Is there a visible spring for it next to the left knob? I suspect there is a spring missing somewhere.

06-9-2018 23:32:00  #2

Re: 1946 Smith Corona Sterling

Hi Gaust

Looking at my 1946 Smith-Corona Sterling S/N 4A-109037. There is a small extension spring sitting on the diagonal between the screw on the bottom tail of the return lever and the pin located directly below the left platen knob. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

07-9-2018 16:18:19  #3

Re: 1946 Smith Corona Sterling

Thanks, Sky. I suspected that a spring was suppose to be there after looking at my 1937 SC Silent. I found a small spring to use there temporarily and it returns the lever but not as strong as the one on my 1937. That one really snaps the lever back. 

Board footera