You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-9-2018 11:37:10  #1

Letters unclear when typing

Can't seem to find any answer to this anywhere, so I figured I'll give it a go and check with you all enthusiasts.

So, I have this typewriter I fixed a while back ago. When I finally fixed the initial problem, I realized that the ink ribbon was dried out, so I got a new one. After setting it up with the new ribbon, the tet was more visible, but only if I pressed really hard. And when I say really hard, I mean =inheritreally hard. When I try to type, the letters pierce the paper because of the pressure applied for the letters and ink to sit to the paper.Has anyone got any explanation or fix for this issue? I'd really like to get typing...=inheritGoing to try and get some photos of the issue later today. Meanwhile, all answers are much appreciated!

16-9-2018 11:46:32  #2

Re: Letters unclear when typing

Hi Mike

Please include the make and model of your typewriter, as different typewriters have different ways of threading the ribbon. If you can also include the year of manufacture or serial number, that will help us forum members know exactly what you're dealing with. All the best,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-9-2018 12:00:52  #3

Hi, Sky.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I haven't got the typewriter with me at the moment, but I'll provide the information ASAP. 

As for threading the ribbon, I have done it correctly, so I don't think that's where the problem is located. I have checked to see if the letters hit the ribbon in full and in the right place, and it does. It's as if the (I'm not sure about the right words here) letters are uneven and thus won't spread the ink evenly on the paper... 

As previously stated, I'll provide more information and pics later. Meanwhile, all replies are very much appreciated!

Mike

24-9-2018 22:07:51  #4

As a test, make the ribbon a bit slack in the middle, so it’s not under tension, and see if it improves. If so, it could be either the ribbon isn’t threaded right or the supply spool isn’t turning freely. Also try reversing the direction of the ribbon advance and see if the symptoms change.

One more test: get some carbon paper from an office supply store like Staples and sandwich a sheet, black side down, atop a sheet of paper. Then set the ribbon color selector to the white stencil position and see if you get good impression on the paper. If so, the type slugs are probably hitting correctly, further confirming a ribbon issue.

Also, does the symptom change using the red position?

Board footera