You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-3-2014 09:04:20  #1

Would this be a good buy?

I found this on my local craigslist page: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/atq/4349242424.html
Is $75 a good price? Can anyone tell me a little bit about this model?

07-3-2014 11:07:37  #2

Re: Would this be a good buy?

Looks to be a Royal Model 10, which like the famous Underwood Model 5 was made for several decades. It's hard to look at that machine without thinking of the film Misery as it was James Caan's weapon of choice in more ways than one. Is it worth $75? I depends on what pricing is like in your area to begin with; however, I would - maybe - but it at that price if it was in good working condition and wasn't missing any parts. If you like it I wouldn't wait too long. At that price it will catch the interest of antique store owners and keychoppers alike and it might sell fast. Good luck and let us know if you ended up getting it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-3-2014 11:12:10  #3

He it listed for $100 originally, but lowered the price two days ago. I'm going to check it out this weekend and see if I can get him down to $50. I'll buy it for sure if all of the keys work, like he says in the post. I will definitely post an update, thanks for the advice.

07-3-2014 17:03:44  #4

I have one of these, and so did Ayn Rand. It's the one thing we have in common.

10-3-2014 08:49:34  #5

I bought the Royal No. 10 on Saturday. The seller knew what he had, and he had plenty of interest from other people, so he didn't drop the price. I got it for $75 and I'm very happy with it. Everything is in working order, and I've started to give it a good cleaning.

Now I have a couple of questions. There are a few spots missing the black paint, both on the outside and inside -- what's a good high-gloss paint for this machine? Also, I want to polish it and bring back the original shine once it's all cleaned up. What's a good product to use for that?

10-3-2014 14:00:28  #6

Congratulations! A few pictures would be in order. 

I've only painted a couple of machines, and always stripped off the old paint first, so I honestly don't know what would be a good touch up paint. I know someone here mentioned touching up the paint on their machines, so a search might turn that up. I'd be tempted to just experiment with a few different paints in an inconspicuous part of the case.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-3-2014 17:42:41  #7

I have no idea if this paint is available in the USA, but I have used black 'Humbrol' to touch up old machines.  This is usually sold in old-fashioned hardware stores, and also (in tiny tins) in shops that sell railway models etc.  It spreads very thinly and is almost self-levelling.  brush marks seem to disappear a few minutes after application.  Hope this helps !

10-3-2014 22:47:42  #8

Humbrol is a well known in Canada, so I'm sure it's available in the U.S. too. My local hobby store carries it; good to know it works as well on typewriters as it does on plastic model kits. 

15-3-2014 10:02:43  #9

Here are a few photos after a pretty thorough cleaning. Anyone know why the keyboard has a couple of keys that are darker than the others? Does this mean the keyboard was modified at some point?

Last edited by EditingMike (15-3-2014 10:09:06)

15-3-2014 14:27:41  #10

Looking good!

Nice machine and one that's on my wish list right now as I have all the standard Royal models that followed it. What - if anything - did you use to clean the platen? It looks like it could use a bit of rejuvinator spray.The rubber on the feet look to be going, but are still servicable. Overall looks like a good find.

I wouldn't worry about the keys. It's just paper under those clear key tops and possibly a few got wet and discoloured a little over the years. You could replace them, but to me that's something to do if you're going to give the machine a full detailing or restoration. 

Most important, what's it like to type with?

Board footera