You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-11-2018 08:55:20  #1

Olympia SM9 - lowercase letters PROBLEM (Yugoslavian keyboard)

Hello everyone

I recently received a nearly unused gift (with case, user manual, key for lock) an Olympia SM9 from the 70-s.
Everything works perfectly except lowercase letters - they are aligned unevenly! If I print same lowercase letter many times, it is I can say pretty good aligned, however, with the combination of other lowercase letters, the alignment is bad! Interesting for me because the most common problem is the upper+lowercase alignment, but I didnt see this kind of problem with just lowercase letters.
Please, if someone knows the solution, write it down
Thank you in advance!

P.S. Sorry for my bad English and please observe the scanned typing!
The link is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52gtqyo0mo2lobx/AADNFfwjTyeYoKw1pUttWSjAa?dl=0

16-11-2018 15:31:12  #2

Re: Olympia SM9 - lowercase letters PROBLEM (Yugoslavian keyboard)

Welcome to the forum !  The segment should lock when in the upper position (lower case characters).  If the lock is not working properly, the segment may be moving slightly when you type.  To test for this, open the front cover and hold the typebar guide up with your left hand.  Type some characters with your right hand whilst holding the typebar guide up.  If the characters now align, you will have found the problem !

16-11-2018 15:43:28  #3

thetypewriterman
Thank You! I think that is better now, but we will find out 100% if I can somehow fix the "wobbling" segment! The "deadzone" is about a milimeter...
Is there any way to fix the wobbling segment?

Thank You very much!

16-11-2018 15:53:06  #4

P.S. here is the video: https://youtu.be/kBEWRHqzNAk

17-11-2018 04:43:19  #5

Follow the left shift keylever underneath the machine.  The adjustment is a 7mm A/F bolt which holds down a plate.  If you are unsure, post a picture of the underside of the machine and I will try to help you.

17-11-2018 09:12:58  #6

Thank you! I will see tonight
Beside the SM9 are you familiar with Olympia SG-3 big desktop typewriter? If you are and want to help, I found another 2 minor problems in this type of typewriter:1. The stop margin on the right side wont „work” ---> when I reach the end of the paper the bell rings however the machine wont stop (preventing to print directly to platen) but going on... so the stop margin „clear key” doesnt have any sense. Mechanically, everything is in place.
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3lFMrDAedg2. Sometimes the new lines (starting with the first letter) dont want to be on the first place after left margin, but on the second, so my „starting” letters in every line are unevenly arranged.
VIDEO: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadRC92IeKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadRC92IeKk

Many many thanks to You Sir.[/url]

17-11-2018 16:25:44  #7

O.K. I will try to help   1. Remove the carriage and check the linkage that operates the 'line-lock'.  In your video, you can see that the mechanism on the back of the carriage seems to be working properly, so the problem is either the linkeage under the carriage(check to see if the typebars lock when pressing with your finger) or maybe the plate on the top of the margin stop (two screws) needs adjustment.
2. The uneven left margin fault is called 'under-banking'.  Push the carriage to the right and hold it against the margin stop. Type a capital 'O'. Let go of the carriage and type capital 'O' again.  The OO should just be touching each other, or overlapping slightly.  If not, go to the back of the carriage, where you will find the Margin Rack (that the left and right margins slide along).  There is a screw at each end of the margin rack.  Loosen the screws and slide the rack over a little.   Tighten the screws, then check OO.  When OO overlaps, the left margin should be even.  Good luck

17-11-2018 16:55:51  #8

Thank you Master!
Tomorrow I will try to check all these details and answer did I succed

19-11-2018 19:36:15  #9

I had a late Royal portable with the same alignment issue - I named the machine ClownRiter.  I eventually found the slop in the segment and, lacking master advice, found a spring to assist the segment in staying in position. It was much better after that and only the residual uppercase/lowercase misalignment remained - the ClownRiter had it all!

20-11-2018 08:23:58  #10

Thank You UnderwoordStd

I will check that solution too, but first I will find the screws that KeyMaster mentioned

Greetings from Serbia.

Board footera