You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-11-2018 14:10:49  #1

IBM 6787 margin moving to the left -> error 215

Dear typewriter enthusiasts,

found an IBM 6787 at the bulky waste including a disc drive, a couple of ribbon cartridges and type wheels, all very fascinating and in good shape.

However, after writing a couple of lines an error 215 occurs which makes the machine freeze until powering it up again. The manual says is was a type wheel problem. Rather than repairing it to death right in the beginning I tried a little further and found out:

If the left margin is set a couple of spaces to the right, I can write a while without getting the error. But upon each carriage returns, the left margin would move a little more to the left until it gets to the physical limit. Then, after another 1-2 lines of text error 215 gets back.

Obviously it can not keep its left margin which is the cause of the somewhat misleading error message.

My problem is that I don't understand where the slack comes from. The carriage is controlled by a step motor which should produce precise movements. The connection between the motor and the cartridge is by a tooth belt. Skipping teeth is hardly possible.

Does anyone have a solution? The mechanics was not only used by the 6787 but also by 6746/6747 and probably others.

Also: Is there any source for spare parts other than the ribbon cartridge?

Cheers,

Thomas

24-11-2018 16:36:03  #2

Re: IBM 6787 margin moving to the left -> error 215

The only thing I can think of that might help is to carefully clean the bar that the carrier runs on and then lubricate it sparingly with light oil - sewing machine oil would be ideal.  If this does not clear the problem,it could be a weak stepper motor or a circuit board fault.  Lexmark continued manufacture after IBM dropped making typewriters, but new spare parts have been unobtainable for some years now.

01-12-2018 04:45:28  #3

01-12-2018 05:12:04  #4

Dear Thomas, Pleased to have been of help !  That is what the forum is all about !

Board footera