You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-1-2019 16:23:36  #1

German-language typewriter -- serviced or good order -- possib prices?

I've haggled a good deal about where to place this thread. It's about buying a typewriter, but a degree removed from the actual buying. I have possessed for a long time an English typewriter and would like to obtain a German typewriter [that is to say a typewriter with the QWERTZ keyboard, modified vowels and scharfes S so that the German language can be typed, rather than merely made in Germany], ideally dating from c. 1930s-40s as my special period of historical interest.

There is no shortage of eminently suitable typewriters on eBay if I was capable of restoring a machine, but unfortunately I am not. As such I would need to buy a machine in good working order, perhaps serviced by an expert or sold by a collector who can vouch for it. Germany is likely the best source -- leider ist mein Deutsch etwas eingerostet, aber trotz dieses Hindernisses hoffe ich, daß ich ziemlich leicht verständlich sein würde.

What sort of price can one expect to pay? My English typewriter was inherited and eBay prices are very varied.

Despite a Wagnerian screen-name I am in Scotland, so shipping and packing from Germany would need to be quite expensive. 

Sincerest good wishes,

29-1-2019 16:36:16  #2

Re: German-language typewriter -- serviced or good order -- possib prices?

Tom, aka thetypewriterman. is in England and might be able to help you out. A QWERTZ machine from that time period should be an easy find - even close to you - and shouldn't cost very much either. I've found many such machines locally and rarely had to pay more than $50 CAD, which is what the '37 Juwel Model 2 below cost. It needed a good cleaning, but was otherwise in good condition.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-1-2019 05:07:25  #3

I have an Olympia SM4 from the 1950's with a German keyboard, if you want to go a bit later in period.  I think Uwe and others will vouch that these are excellent machines.  It would be £250 fully refurbished (and that includes a re-rubbered platen) plus £25 postage to Scotland - and yes I am in the UK !

30-1-2019 13:42:21  #4

I cannot possibly thank you enough for your warm welcomes and kind help. I think, with your permission, I shall leave the thread to sit for a week and think about the period, but I'd be very grateful if you could perhaps send a picture? 

30-1-2019 15:00:53  #5

I own a German beautiful Continental 100 from 1938 in perfect working condition. I bought it from eBay for 20 € plus shipping of some 8 €, i.e. 28 €. The machine was clean and only needed a replacement ribbon. I'm located in Germany, though.

If you need assistance in German language or with acquiring a German typewriter, just ask (I'm a native German speaker). In return I probably have some questions about Scotland, which (coindentally) I'd like to visit next year.

30-1-2019 15:35:32  #6

Hallo!
I wanted to thank you for your kind offers of help, both of which will be enormously useful. First of all, I’d be happy to pay a good price and shipping from Germany if you could trace something. Please send as many questions as you like about my country as you like – in either English or German.
‘MfG’
'Tristan'

31-1-2019 14:30:59  #7

Tristan wrote:

Hallo!
I wanted to thank you for your kind offers of help, both of which will be enormously useful. First of all, I’d be happy to pay a good price and shipping from Germany if you could trace something. Please send as many questions as you like about my country as you like – in either English or German.
‘MfG’
'Tristan'

Of course, if you were willing to part from the Continental 100 it would be perfect.

31-1-2019 15:06:14  #8

"Tristan" wrote:

Of course, if you were willing to part from the Continental 100 it would be perfect.

I use this machine for presentational purposes as it's the one from my typewriters that looks most impressive to today's people (including me). I don't really want to give it away. But I think I have another Continental portable machine around from about the same time. Let me see if I can find it, then I'll follow up with this thread.

"Tristan" wrote:

Please send as many questions as you like about my country as you like – in either English or German.

Thank you for your kindness! Once I got around to check for the other Continental, I'm going to do that.

Greetings
sirius

03-2-2019 16:19:21  #9

Quick update: the mentioned Continental typewriter still exists in a family member's home. I will have opportunity to talk to the person on tuesday and will report back.

06-2-2019 03:26:42  #10

It's a Continental Wanderer 36:

It's my grandmother's old typewriter and is quite used, but it does write without problems as far as I can see. It probably would benefit from a new platen, though.

If you're interested or want further details, write me a PM (or a typewritten letter to stay true to our medium of choice -- address on PM).

sirius

Board footera