You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2019 09:58:04  #1

Museum in Chile - President Allende's Typewriter

My wife and I went to the Museo De La Memoria Y Los Derechos Humanos memorializing the victims of the Pinochet Junta regime starting in 1973.  On September 11, 1973, Pinochet, in control of the military, bombed La Moneda Palace where the sitting president, Salvador Allende was held up.  He supposedly killed himself before he was captured.  Here are pictures I took at the Museum of Allende charred typewriter which was recovered from the palace after the bombing.  It goes to show how typewriters have been witnesses to much of twentieth century history.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNMULaWcoNgKqzAe6

19-3-2019 11:21:00  #2

Re: Museum in Chile - President Allende's Typewriter

If someone can identify this typewriter from these remains, I'll be very impressed.

19-3-2019 11:58:01  #3

An Olympia? According to https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Typewriter.html, Olympia opened a Chile factory between 1950 and 1970.  

A Hermes Featherweight?  In 1947 Thor Heyerdahl floated on a raft called Kon-Tiki from Peru to Tahiti trying to show "that ancient peoples could have made long sea voyages creating, contacts between separate cultures." (Wikipedia)  They had a Hermes Featherweight onboard as you can see from the photo on Robert Messenger's website, https://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2013/04/typewriter-on-kon-tiki.html.  No word yet on whether the typewriter floated back to South America.

26-3-2019 15:49:28  #4

I'll bet that Tom could ID it.
It certainly doesn't look anything like an Olympia to me (the type bar guide and key lever segment aren't at all similar). It's not a Featherweight either. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-3-2019 00:46:48  #5

Fleetwing wrote:

If someone can identify this typewriter from these remains, I'll be very impressed.

I am pretty sure it is an Olympia SG3. Comparing various parts of the frame, screw points, segment style, and other fine details with this gallery--the later pics in this database gallery that show the insides--it looks like a match.

27-3-2019 01:08:19  #6

27-3-2019 04:51:57  #7

I think it could be the remains of an Olympia SG-1.  The side frame is a bit different to the SG-3.  Uwe, take another look and maybe compare with one of your SG-1s  I'd be interested to know what you think !

27-3-2019 08:37:38  #8

Fantastic job, gentlemen! 

There's so little left of the machine I had foolishly assumed it was a portable; that it could have been a standard didn't even enter my mind.   I'm going to print those photos of the destroyed machine and keep them on the work bench for when I can open up a SG1 and SG3 and compare them.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-3-2019 11:40:20  #9

I thought it was a portable, too -- mon chapeau to you both!

27-3-2019 12:55:05  #10

Probably doesn't help that this topic is in the Portables sub-forum. 

I'm moving this to the Standards sub-forum right now...

Board footera