You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-4-2019 17:50:30  #1

Reattaching the platen on a Remington Quiet-Riter

I removed the platen from a Remington Quiet-Riter to clean, as I already done it before, but this time two pieces from the inside part of the left knob came out and I don't know how to reattached them. Can someone help me please?

https://postimg.cc/MnmkYKj6

01-5-2019 03:35:08  #2

Re: Reattaching the platen on a Remington Quiet-Riter

The part with the 'hook' on it is the linespace pawl.  The other component is the linespace selector.  From memory, the selector goes on first and the linespace pawl next.  The holes in the middle of each component go over the platen shaft when the platen goes back in.  The notch on the linespace pawl engages with the linespace lever.  This will make more sense when you study the machine.  Best of luck !

18-5-2019 08:53:01  #3

I regrettably don’t have the photo I once did from a repair last year. I do believe the typewriter man is right.  Index selector first, then pawl.  The spring connects further back into the carriage, and the little stick thing hanging off the carriage return leaver fits into the slot.  The platen holds it together.  On the right side, you need to make sure the TINY WASHER goes in BETWEEN the platen and the carriage frame.  It’s a pain in the ass but you’ll get it.  It won’t work without, trust me.  Always take photos my friend, saves time and heartache.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

18-5-2019 08:56:15  #4

Second note, both parts fit flush.  make sure the tab on the bottom one, the index selector, lines up with the numbers 1-3 on the carriage frame/body cap.  The slot in the other part goes straight up (if I recal) and the spring goes into the back of the carriage. Look and you’ll see a connection.

Best of luck!!!!

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera