You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-4-2014 17:58:45  #1

Shady Stuff on Ebay

I'm having to bring a case against somebody on ebay. I bought a JL Smith Secretarial typewriter last month. I paid for it, including $30 shipping. The seller sat on it for over three weeks without a word. When I finally contacted them, they said the shipping would cost $41 dollars and I owed them $11.

Needless to say, I got mad as Hell and told them to do their homework and ship the stupid thing to me, or I'd report them. Nothing on the listing said anything about additional shipping.

No word yet. Anybody got any suggestions?

15-4-2014 19:06:43  #2

Re: Shady Stuff on Ebay

It depends how much you want the machine.  But do make sure that EBay know about the situation - record your concerns with them straight away, even if you decide not to persure the matter later on.

At the end of the day, it's all about persevering with an awkward seller because you want the item, or just going for the refund through EBay / PayPal.  In most cases, it seems, they will get your refund for you, if that's what you want.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-4-2014 19:31:55  #3

Open a case with eBay immediately. Trust me on this. I was burned once by a seller on eBay who kept stringing me along until enough time had passed that I could no longer file a complaint on eBay, nor get a refund from PayPal. I lost around $130 and couldn't even leave negative feeback.

Unless things have changed, you only have 45 days from when the auction closed to start a claim. I would send the seller one more message saying that they are legally obliged to send the typewriter as per the terms of the auction, and if they don't you will file a claim with eBay and PayPal (I hope you used PayPal!). I don't know what you paid for the machine, but it isn't rare, so it isn't worth dealing with a bad seller to get one. And if this is how this person is acting over shipping it, I can only imagine how they will pack the machine if they do end up sending it to you. A big heavy standard like the Secretariial won't have a good chance arrived in good shape unless it is very carefully packaged for shipment. You should probably mention the sellers name too so that everyone here know not to bid on any of their auctions.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-4-2014 20:24:38  #4

I've already carefully filed a case. I'm not letting it go. I spent $95 on the typewriter. It's in super-good shape. I really want it.

Don't worry. I did use Pay Pal and I'm NOT letting anything go. I'll let "yall know what happens.

By the way, I've been loosing auctions on Underwood #5s right and left. People are going over $400 for them now. I'm still trying. I could have had a 1915, but it went for 450. I might regret not getting it.

15-4-2014 22:38:13  #5

Uath wrote:

By the way, I've been loosing auctions on Underwood #5s right and left. People are going over $400 for them now. I'm still trying. I could have had a 1915, but it went for 450. I might regret not getting it.

?!?!? That's insane. In my area they have to be one of the most common models you come across in antique shops, and even though antique shops are the worst for pricing, they can be easily had for less than $150. In local online classified ads its pretty easy to grab one for less than $100 if you're patient. I paid $25 for a Model 3 (a 1932 that works but needs restoration) and have since refused Model 5s when offered (one was even free).  I can't imagine why anyone would pay $400 for such a common typewriter, at least not in North America. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-4-2014 23:23:03  #6

I've been involved in antiques all my life (my grandfather was a dealer). People are weird. It isn't what it's worth, it's what you can sell it for. I think the Underwood #5 is THE antique typewriter. It just looks the part. Check Ebay, you'll be amazed.

I can't even buy one at any price. I'm outbidded in the last 3 sec of the auction. I tell you, I've lost five auctions for a #5, all within the last 5 sec of bidding.

16-4-2014 01:53:01  #7

This came to my mind while reading this topic. I'm not sure if it's actually an Underwood #5, but that'd be my guess.
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/kirjoituskone-vanha-underwood/307889952

If the good one's are somewhere worth over $400, I'd imagine parts are worth something too (since clearly that machine is beyond use). The auction has closed, but the machine didn't sell. Although if these machines are so common where Uwe lives, I suppose better and cheaper parts machines exist too.

Getting offtopic, but I'm suprised that Ebay allows that kind of bidding. In largest Finnish online auction website, a last minute bid always extends the auction by 5 minutes. It also has a automatic bidding function that increases your bid automatically up to the limit you set. I don't know if Ebay has this too, but it sounds like it ought to.

Last edited by tatte (16-4-2014 01:54:20)

16-4-2014 11:06:57  #8

Some auctions extend the bidding time if the bid is increased near the end of the auction, others don't. eBay doesn't do this, which is why there's even software available for bidders to automatically snipe a final bid in the dying seconds of an auction. However, in Uath's case it doesn't always mean that you're being outbid in the final seconds of an auction. If you try to snipe a bid in the last few seconds and someone else has entered a higher bid days ago, you will automatically be out-bid by them.

16-4-2014 11:13:00  #9

Uath wrote:

I can't even buy one at any price. I'm outbidded in the last 3 sec of the auction. I tell you, I've lost five auctions for a #5, all within the last 5 sec of bidding.

I'd stop trying to buy a Model 5 on eBay then. They aren't worth a fraction of that kind of money and those who have been outbidding you are doing you a big favour. You're in the U.S., right? Find one locally - and if there aren't any because you live in a small town, check local listings in the largest cities around you and time the purchase with a visit. Whenever I'm travelling, especially by car, I always check listings in cities along my route. Last near I picked up a nice 1946 Royal for $25 in the city I was travelling to. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to find a Model 5 for less than $100, but you might have to be a little patient about it.

17-4-2014 19:09:50  #10

I got my money back for the JL Smith, but I really wanted the typewriter.

For info: The seller CAN request more shipping (Frowned upon, but allowed) however, the buyer has the right to refuse and get a refund. I don't like this at all. It seems to me once the deal is struck and the item paid for, the shipping charge should be honored. It's up to the seller to charge enough shipping. That however, is not the way it is.

I made the guy super mad telling him so... I also gave him a horrendous review. Too bad. He needs to know. I can't imagine anyone with sense coming back at someone, who has paid for something in full, and demanding more shipping. It would make anybody mad. It sure did me. Just because it's technically OK doesn't make it a good idea, business-wise.

Board footera