You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2013 16:16:42  #1

Most Beautiful Typewriters

To counterbalance the "Ugliest Typewriter" thread, I thought I'd start one focusing on the typewriter-models which you think are the most beautiful or aesthetically appealing. Which ones and whyfor?

I have a thing for visible typebaskets. I like seeing them all laid out in front of me, and flying back and forth as I type.

As far as Standards go, I think my favourites are... 

Royal No. 10. 

Remington 12 (or the Remington 16; I reckon they're pretty-much identical, and they're both cool). 

The Underwood 5. 

The Imperial 50. 

If I could get any of those desktops as a typewriter, I'd be happy. They're all big, solid, chunky and stylish...and DAMN HEAVY. I tried to pick up an Imperial 50 once and probably came to within an inch of dislocating my shoulder! 

I love these typewriters because they're mechanical marvels. Most of the working parts are exposed, but like a steam-engine, they don't look ugly. They look like mechanical art, functional art. You would hardly say the same thing about a computer if you had a clear plastic P.C. tower, would you? The case-style is simple and elegant. A bit boxy, perhaps, but the curve and smile of the typebasket makes me happy. 

As far as Portables go, I was instantly attracted to the...

Remington No. 3...

...and I would've bought one, if not for the OUTRAGEOUS price ($370!)

The IGC is just...cute! I nearly bought one in London when I was there on holiday last year, but the feed-rollers were just TRASHED. At the time I didn't have the knowledge to try and repair them, so I didn't want to take the risk. Also, the price wasn't really worth it. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

20-3-2013 17:36:55  #2

Re: Most Beautiful Typewriters

Is "beautiful" the best word to use to describe typewriters that I love?  I happen to love well built and finished MACHINES of which this one happens to be my favorite typewriter in my smallish collection, the Remington No.6.  This one dates to 1907

This 1904-07 Monarch Visible is, I think, also a beautiful machine with the lovely pin striping.  Beautiful or appealling, I still like it and many other earlier heavyweight desk typewriters of quality build.

Last edited by Steve Stephens (20-3-2013 17:39:54)

22-3-2013 17:54:19  #3

Steve Stephens wrote:

this one happens to be my favorite typewriter in my smallish collection, the Remington No.6.  

Wow!   As much as I love the No. 6's see-through front panel, its stylish case alone is worth the price of admission to me.

However, the question of "most beautiful" typewriters is a really difficult one, at least it is for me. It would like having to pick a favorite music group, or book, or film.

I'm incapable of choosing just one typewriter from a field of machines and giving it the the title of "most". To my eye there are too many models that in their own way represent something alluring and special to me. 

Take for example the Remington Streamliner from the late '30s that looks like it was designed by a coach works that specialized in race cars. Or the Smith-Corona Standard from the early '30s with its no-nonsense flattop and understated, well-balanced design.

There are others too. The early '60s Triumph Perfekt is wonderfully bulbous in shape, like the head of a Beluga whale or the belly of a pregnant woman. Then there are the ultra-portables such as the Gossen Tippa, the early '50s ABC, and even the Olympia Splendid 33. Their toy-like charm makes them so cute you just want to reach out and pinch their cheeks.

I could go on and on, but when I look over the typers that I own, I find the question even more difficult to answer. On a purely aesthetic level, I can't stop staring at the lines of my '37 Progress. Then my eyes drift to the elegant simplicity of Smith-Corona's Streamline (4 series) models like my '46 Sterling. But not for long; next to it is a purple-coloured Optima Elite that is screaming for attention.

This thread asks a damn good question, but unfortunately it's one that I can't answer.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2013 21:13:23  #4

Much like the appreciation of what makes a "beautiful woman", beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Many 60-70's machines are light, sleek and effcient, that can be admired and loved by some.   While the classic lines of a 40-50's Smith-Corona machine have a cool RETRO beauty too.  Simple yet complex machinery of the early machines is certainly historically attractive.   Lot's of choices for all

One who learned to type BEFORE typewriters were electric

22-3-2013 23:26:23  #5

I agree with Uwe, the Remington 5 portable steamline is a sexy typewriter. I'd love to own one. I almost bought one, once, but I settled on my Underwood in the end. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

14-5-2014 09:32:38  #6

I see from Google that somebody has already posted a picture of this elsewhere in this forum, but we have to mention here Anton Ego's beautifully designed typewriter in Ratatouille...  Are fictional typewriter's allowed?

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

14-5-2014 10:05:01  #7

Kasper wrote:

Are fictional typewriter's allowed?

Sure, why not?  A fictional - or imaginary - typewriter could be considered a prelude to a design after all. Speaking of which, I can only imagine what typewriters would look like today if they were still being produced by the large manufacturers.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-5-2014 17:06:30  #8

apologies for that rogue apostrophy, just noticed it now... darn.

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

10-6-2014 23:10:26  #9

Shangas,
The Royal No.10 is a beauty!
Does anyone on here own one?

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

11-6-2014 04:20:35  #10

I almost purchased one once, but then I realised a flaw in it - broken key - and that put me off buying it. 

Nope, the only typewriter I have is my 1920s Underwood portable. And it works wonderfully. 

Board footera