You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-4-2014 01:53:55  #1

Weddings?

I notice that listings for TWs often mention weddings.  Anyone know why?

Last edited by beak (18-4-2014 02:04:07)

Sincerely,
beak.

18-4-2014 09:29:55  #2

Re: Weddings?

Apparently it's a thing for the past few years -- you set up the typewriter at the wedding reception, and the guests get to type warm loving wishes for the couple's happiness, or (as would probably happen in my family) silly stories about something the groom did when he was three years old. Or whatever. Then all the pages get put into a binder and stored with the other wedding things. I was at Cambridge Typewriter a few months ago and Tom was selling a shiny Corona flattop to a couple for their wedding. He had to demonstrate pretty much everything since neither of them had used one before. 

18-4-2014 16:47:20  #3

I thought they were just for display but obviously Janet has a better grasp of what they're being used for than I do. In my area even antique shops are renting them out for use in weddings. It must be quite the trend right now.

Apparently they're also being used in wedding photography:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-4-2014 18:41:25  #4

Thanks for the info.

But why not write the messages in a book, I wonder?  Would this be because so many people have terrible handwriting these days? - or perhaps it's just the novelty.

If it keeps a typrwriter, and a typewriter shop, in business, great!

Sincerely,
beak.

19-4-2014 03:04:00  #5

I think it's the novelty aspect. The timesaving aspect. But also the fact that most people can't write these days. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

15-5-2014 09:54:39  #6

I just remembered I made my wedding invitations on the typewriter, I'll try to scan one and post it here.  To be honest, I just typed the one, then photocopied it onto nice card and cut them out by hand.  I couldn't guarantee typing out 200 invitations without making any mistakes...

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

Board footera