You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-5-2014 06:22:04  #1

Olivetti Lettera 22 Serial number help

I recently acquired a Lettera 22 and I am trying to pin down the date of production via it's serial number.
I have checked out the extensive lists on Typewriter Database, but I am still at a loss in terms of pinning down a date for it. I  also understand it can be tricky with the dating  of some  Olivetti models. I have even emailed Olivetti UK to see if they have any access to the records.

If anyone knows of any links/sites  it would be greatly appreciated.

Hastings36

10-5-2014 07:02:32  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 22 Serial number help

Maybe post a picture?  There are some knowledgable folk here who may date it at a glance - I'm not one of them, by the way!

Sincerely,
beak.

10-5-2014 09:01:08  #3

Thanks for the reply Beak. I have added a pic below of the Lettera 22. It's looking good after a good clean of the keys and a new black ribbon. Any help on narrowing down the year of production would be great. The back plate reads Olivetti - Glasgow Made In Gt Britain. This info narrows it down to a british made machine. I have removed the Lever arm as it is needs a little bit of work on it...

Hastings36

Last edited by Hastings36 (10-5-2014 09:04:32)

10-5-2014 11:05:13  #4

You shold probably mention the serial number if you want help with this. The badging is one indicator, as are some of the components on the machine, but a number will help bracket it with machines of known manufacturing dates.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-5-2014 11:07:36  #5

Thanks Uwe.  It slipped my mind to add the Serial number to my other post.

The number is 7777 595

Thanks, Hastings36

10-5-2014 15:30:27  #6

I assume you found this number stamped on the frame - back/left corner - under the carriage? When I saw the 7s I immediately thought it was a late '50s model, but you have one digit too many in that number. And was that space in the number like you typed it your post? If so, I'd love to see a photo of it for reference. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-5-2014 10:00:44  #7

Thanks for the help Uwe. This is how the number looks on the frame...

11-5-2014 15:48:37  #8

I would take it to be a 1960-made machine.  Pretend that the first '7' isn't there and it pretty well falls into place from the serial number list I have.  Many of these machines were also prefixed 'S'.  I have always thought that meant S for Scottish factory.  After 1961, the serial numbering sequence changed, together with the keytops becoming square and the blue finish looking more like that of its' successor - the Lettera 32.

11-5-2014 22:49:37  #9

thetypewriterman wrote:

After 1961, the serial numbering sequence changed, together with the keytops becoming square and the blue finish looking more like that of its' successor - the Lettera 32.

I haven't been able to prove it definitively yet, but I have always assumed that the 22s with the round keys were '50s machines, and the more squared key models from the early '60s. I have a '62 model and it has the squared keys (they're grey too instead of black), but the problem is that I've found a few exceptions to that rule. I suppose it's always possible that on those odd machines that they keys were replaced at some point for the later generation type. 

I was hoping that the photo would show an S in front of that second 7, which is why I asked for it, but it's definitely a 7. It's a strange serial number, so strange that I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's a typo; I have at least two machines with serial numbers that were screwed up when they engraved into the frame, so it is a viable explanation.  

12-5-2014 05:33:51  #10

Thanks for all the help. There does seem to be a digit/letter that has been obscured by the screw. That could possibly be the "S"? It is an awkward place to try and get a good photo.

Hastings36

Board footera