You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2013 15:37:47  #1

Famous People and their Typewriters

Teeritz's comments in the New Member thread got me thinking about the influence well-known people have on typewriter collector. Did their choice in typewriters have any effect your own buying habits?

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on public figures and their typewriters, especially the ones who have influenced your purchase (or search) of a specific machine. 

Here are a few of mine:

Ernest Hemingway
I'm a big fan of Hemingway's work and the idea of owning a typewriter model that he used to write with would be something special.
Typerwirters: Corona 3, Underwood Noiseless Portable, Royal Arrow, Royal P, Halda portable model P

Ian Fleming
Okay, I'll admit that I'm a James Bond junkie and that owning a Fleming typer would be a novelty.
Typewriters: Royal portables, Triumph Gabriele (1950s)

Dashiell Hammett
The Thin Man series and Hammett's other detective books such as The Maltese Falcon are a lot of fun to read, so an example of the typewriter he was known to use was a must buy.
Typewriter: Royal De Luxe 

Günter Grass
An author that I have a lot of respect for, Grass wrote with - and swore by - a legendary machine, although I still don't understand how he wrote anything of length on one.
Typewriter: Olivetti Lettera 22 (1954)

T.E. Lawrence
Having read Seven Pillars of Wisdom,  it was imperative that I own the same model as was used by Lawrence to write his landmark book with.
Typewriter: Royal 5

Hunter S. Thompson
Brilliant in his own way, owning a Thompson typer meant a leap into a genre that I swore I'd avoid: Electric typewriters. Still, his choice of machine is now an icon design of the electric age and the day will come when I wasn't able to resist its call. By the way, Thompson for some reason had a fondness for shooting defenceless Selectric typewriters in the wild. No one could ever accuse the man of being boring.
Typewriter: ​IBM Selectric (1961-71 in red) 

Last edited by Uwe (23-3-2013 10:36:13)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2013 15:40:10  #2

Re: Famous People and their Typewriters

Not that I have any particular interest in John F. Kennedy, this webpage that shows the Underwood that he used is pretty interesting.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2013 23:29:51  #3

Growing up, I was a big fan of the children's writer, Enid Blyton. She was very fond of the Imperial Good Companion: 

I nearly bought one, when I was on holiday in England last year, but it had feeding-issues which made me think twice about it. The paper didn't go in properly and wouldn't come out properly. Shot feed-rollers, I reckon. 

One day, I'd like to own one. I just think they're cute!

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

26-3-2013 20:20:42  #4

This is an interesting photo of poet Charles Bukowski clutching an Underwood portable of some kind. Looks like it might be a Champion to me... 

02-4-2013 13:14:36  #5

It seems that the Los Angeles politician, Steve Soboroff, is partial to celebrity-owned typewriters. His collection includes machines by Ray Bradbury, Ernest Hemingway, Jack London, George Bernard Shaw and John Lennon.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/03/harold_robbins_typewriter.php

Last edited by Stevetype33 (02-4-2013 13:15:17)

02-4-2013 13:47:53  #6

05-4-2013 21:17:27  #7

Agatha Christie's Royal 10, at her room at the Pera Palace Hotel in Istanbul: 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

05-4-2013 22:40:46  #8

Gorgeous!

Last edited by Hemingway (05-4-2013 22:50:47)

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

05-4-2013 23:03:44  #9

One of my favourite authors was the late, great Brian Jacques. He passed away a couple of years back at the age of 71, I believe. He was very famous for his fantasy and history novels. He was equally famous for the fact that he typed all his stories on a typewriter. Sadly, it's not recorded anywhere, what model of typewriter he used. Not even his official website. 

06-4-2013 00:29:08  #10

Uwe wrote:

This is an interesting photo of poet Charles Bukowski clutching an Underwood portable of some kind. Looks like it might be a Champion to me... 

Those chrome strips on the front are typical of the Universals... but they might have also appeared on the Champions.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

Board footera