You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-6-2014 07:18:01  #1

SCM 210 carriage removal?

Hi guys.  I have a number of typewriters that live in my classroom for my students to use. Of these, one is a Smith Corona 210 that is honestly one of my favorite "daily driver" typewriters for reports and such.  I let one of my students use it, and she dropped it off of her desk.  Now, it appears to work completely, with the exception of the carriage having jumped off its track.  When you power it on and hit the power return, it'll skip back and forth one or two spaces repeatedly until you turn it off again.  When you manually move it, you can feel that it's smooth on both ends of the carriage movement, but its rough in the center.  Is it dead?

I think my ultimate question is, how do I remove the carriage and try to re-set it?

Thanks.

21-6-2014 19:07:48  #2

Re: SCM 210 carriage removal?

I don't know the machine you mentioned, but I don't like the sound of the damage.   Seems awfully as though teeth on the track have been stripped or distorted in the centre, but even that may be repairable.  I had a similar thing recently, and managed to get it going again by taking a small file to the teeth and reshaping them.

I'd wait for someone more knowledgable to come along.....

Sincerely,
beak.

21-6-2014 20:32:45  #3

The toothed track that Beak mentioned is often an adjustable part, and usually when the carriage is moving okay at the extreme ends of its travel, but not so well in the middle, it just needs to be adjusted. I'm not sure if it's the case for your electric, but often there are four screws holding it in place. Loosen them slightly after memorizing the current position of the track and then move it ever so slightly upward - toward the top of the carriage - then tighten the screws again. Test and see if that helps.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-6-2014 20:38:52  #4

Thanks for the info guys.  The 210 is basically an electric Galaxie with a power return.  I'll look for the adjustment screws - are they on the body or the carriage?  

22-6-2014 16:25:20  #5

On the carriage.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera