You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-7-2014 11:00:02  #1

Optima Elite 3 - Carriage Won't Stay Put

So, I bought this beautiful Elite 3 last week (sorry, terrible photo - can't find my proper camera).

To put it simply, once the carriage lock is disengaged, the carriage won't remain in place. It moves fully to the left - with quite a lot of force - and if I push it back to the right it won't stay there.

I'm a complete newbie to typewriters, but here are some facts that might (hopefully) help diagnose the problem:

- Neither typing nor using the space bar advances the carriage, but pressing the space bar or fully depressing a letter key will hold the carriage in place, until the key is released.

- I can depress the carriage release lever, and it appears to operate fully (and return to its original position when released).

For all I know, that's the equivalent of going to a car mechanic with a seized engine and saying, "Well, the mirrors are fine!" but I figure more information is probably better than less.

I'd hugely appreciate any help or advice on this one - very few things could make me happier than getting this beauitful old machine up and running.

Cheers,
-Dan

09-7-2014 12:30:50  #2

Re: Optima Elite 3 - Carriage Won't Stay Put

Sounds to me like an issue with the escapement, or possibly even the tabulator.

How mechanically inclined are you? Unless you're comfortable with disassembling and reassembling machinery, this might not be a repair that you should attempt.

However, you could at least visually check a few things. With the carriage all the way to the left (use the margin release to allow it to move as far left as possible), you can just see the escapement and the linkages for the tabulator system. Take a look at the photos below. When you press and release the tab bar (it's on the right side of the space bar) check to see if the tabulator linkages are moving freely. Directly behind that vertical tabulator linkage are the linkages for the space bar. Press the space bar and make sure that it is moving its linkages all the way up to the escapement (the silver gear directly under the carriage).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2014 13:25:31  #3

I'm not unhandy, but I'd be lying if I said the idea of taking this apart doesn't scare me a little.

I had a look, and yes, the tabulator linkages are moving just fine. The space bar is also moving all the way up to the escapement wheel, where it appears (from what I can see) to be engaging the escapement with a sort of tooth (a dog?).

Thank you for the helpful pictures.

09-7-2014 19:15:37  #4

I'm not even the shadow of a typewriter mechanic, but from the recent fiddling I've done, it sounds as though just one little lever is stuck somewhere. 

I had some Olympia carriages in my hands recently, and there is a little tab which if pressed, disengages the slide and makes the whole thing shoot to the left (like yours).  This tab is operated by a rising post from inside the machine - and this may be stuck in the up position or the tab itself stuck. 

Could be caused by dirt or a bent component, but more likely dirt or old oil (just guessing).  My way (in my ignorance) would be to get a strong torch and thin brush with meths (mind the paintwork) and clean and clean and clean everything under the carrige that I can see. 

At least this can do no harm while you wait for a better answer, and doing this may help you to see what's going on as you track the linkages and begin to see what each part does.  Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-7-2014 06:40:04  #5

I'll take your advice and hope it's a gummed-up lever or linkage somewhere. If nothing else, I'll end up with a very clean machine.

I've had a look at the escapement, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. However, I've observed at least this much:

Both the carriage release and the spacebar operate the same thing - a metal plate with a dog that engages the escapement wheel. When I depress the spacebar, that dog binds with the escapement wheel and stops it turning. When I depress the carriage release, the dog moves further, to the other side of the wheel.

With that being the case - shouldn't that dog be engaged with the escapement wheel in the first place, to stop the carriage moving? Then the space bar would disengage it, and allow the carriage to move left, and the carriage release would do the same thing (except to a greater extent). As it stands, nothing seems to be holding the escapement wheel at rest, and hence the carriage won't stop moving.

Or maybe I'm pointing at a fire and saying, "FIRE HOT!" but still, it can't hurt to try and work these things out.

Thank you both very much for your help and input.

10-7-2014 13:16:54  #6

Sixty-Six wrote:

With that being the case - shouldn't that dog be engaged with the escapement wheel in the first place, to stop the carriage moving?  

Yes, and you've found the problem. Often it's grime that prevents that dog from moving properly, but you can also see if there are any springs in the area that are either broken or hanging from one end but not attachted to the other.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-7-2014 14:42:58  #7

Uwe wrote:

Yes, and you've found the problem.

Fantastic! Then I shall set about it immediately, and report my results.

Thanks again for your help (and patience).

11-7-2014 10:52:39  #8

Okay, so, I found my camera and took a couple of pictures that might provide some insight. I turned the typewriter upside down and tried to get images of the space bar mechanism and the plate (with attached dog) it operates. While I was under there, I noticed a couple of screws that look like they could be for adjustment, but I didn't want to mess with them just yet. I also managed - barely - to get an image of the dog engaging with the escapement wheel, while the space bar was pressed.

I didn't find any loose linkages / springs, or any obvious obstructions. At a guess, I'd say that something is out of adjustment - but what particular part I'd adjust to remedy that I don't know.

28-7-2017 17:40:24  #9

I just picked up a Lettera 32 and I'm having this exact same issue EXCEPT with one very strange work around… If I press any key it will keep the carriage in place and I can use the typewriter as if there was no problem at all.
But when I go to return the carriage to the next line, it starts all over again.  At which point I either have to press the spacebar or one of the keys whilst holding the carriage all the way to the right, and I can keep going.

HOWEVER, the backspace key and the tabulator key will both unlock everything and send the carriage flying away

Suggestions?

I can't quite see the dog and gear mechanism as clearly as on the Optima for which this thread began, but I will keep investigating that

01-8-2017 14:58:04  #10

It's my understanding that there's a second dog which the Tab mechanism retracts to allow the carriage to move freely. If there's gunk, the spring tension may not be enough to move back this second dog.

If one were to hold down Tab, it would quite likely produce these symptoms.

Schyllerwade, my guess as to how your workaround operates is that the carrisge hits the first dog, which is on the same pivoting platform as the stuck second dog, and causes enough shock/vibration to free it. Use of the tab, backspace, or carriage return push back the second dog, where it once again sticks.

The easiest way to see this on Letteras is to remove the platen and paper deflector, giving you a clear, unobstructed view of the escapement.

I hope this helps!

Board footera