You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-7-2014 11:04:56  #1

Singer Professional (aka, Smith-Corona Galaxie?)

I bought this, my first ever manual typewriter, at the flea market this past weekend for $10! 

It was in pretty good shape, apart from having a few bent keys.  Needed a good cleaning, of course.  Had some issues with double characters, but I've managed to figure out that's due to a combination the platen having hardened and my hitting the keys with too much force.  It types fine with I ease up a bit. 

Haven't found much about this model online.  It appears it's a rebranded Smith-Corona Galaxie.  Least that's the closest model I can find that looks like it.

"That's that writing, that's typing" - Truman Capote

11-7-2014 22:25:10  #2

Re: Singer Professional (aka, Smith-Corona Galaxie?)

Nice machine, especially the paint scheme - congratulations! You are correct that it's a Smith-Corona in disguise, and that's really good news. Smith-Corona, amoung other manufacturers, made typewriters for Singer which were sold alongside the company's sewing machines in their retail outlets.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-7-2014 13:20:05  #3

Re: Singer Professional (aka, Smith-Corona Galaxie?)

I also got a Smith Corona under the "badge name" Sears Tower.   It is clearly a Smith as I could see from the inner workings.  It looks similar to yours.   It works great, but I only paid $5 dollars for it at a garage sale.  I would suggest, in the future, that you look further as Smiths seem to be plentiful and can be bought for much less.   I have seen at least seven in the last two months--six at antique stores where the prices are known to be high, for $60 average.   Also one for $20 at a garage sale.  

Board footera