You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-7-2014 23:50:29  #1

WTB: WW2 Typewriter

I'm really looking for a typewriter that can be tied to WW2. There were specific army and navy versions that were OD green and/or had "US Army" or "US Navy" on them.

The government also took civilian typewriters and put "US government" stickers or stamps on them.

Please let me know if you have anything or if you know of anyone who does.
Thanks!

11-7-2014 23:55:34  #2

Re: WTB: WW2 Typewriter

The army and navy branded Royal models (Arrows usually I think) come up fairly often for sale on eBay. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-7-2014 08:00:21  #3

Uwe wrote:

The army and navy branded Royal models (Arrows usually I think) come up fairly often for sale on eBay. 

Oh really? I've never seen one. I'll keep an eye out.
If you ever happen to see one please let me know!

05-10-2014 18:49:47  #4

I have a "Radio Mill" (caps only to type down radio messages) Underwood Universal, essentially a less common version of the Arrow Uwe mentioned. It needs work, but I would sell it if I was offered a fair price

06-10-2014 02:31:07  #5

One should point out, during WWII, typewriter manufacture all but ceased. Underwood and Royal all but stopped producing typewriters for the period 1942-1945. What VERY FEW typewriters they DID produce were all for the military. If you wanted one for yourself, you had to fill out a permit of some kind, if I remember rightly. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

07-10-2014 19:31:55  #6

I passed up an army green L.C. smith at the market this summer. I'm kicking myself for not making the guy an offer. Maybe you can find one.

30-1-2016 19:43:54  #7

Theres an army green LC Smith on eBay right now....

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-2-2016 08:34:28  #8

Those green LC Smiths aren't really military - they're just a variation of the 8 that got a nice paint job and a new name. I have one somewhere in the garage...

05-2-2016 11:54:38  #9

If you punch an 8 mm hole in the case you can get more money for it being in actual combat.

05-2-2016 15:40:31  #10

Hah, true! Someone would say in the title battle wounded and increase the price by at least $200.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera