You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-7-2023 23:52:04  #1

Typewriting? Typeprinting?

In the later half of the 20th century, with the rise of the home PC, there were available an increasing number of electronic typewriters that included a port for interfacing with a computer. Either directly, as in using a direct connection between the computer and the typewriter, or through an intermediate device. (Such as the messenger module)

I'm interested in learning more about typewriters with such configurations, and who uses them.

I recognize that to most people who have adquate modern printers at their disposal, this is more hassle than it is worth. Indeed, a typewriter hooked up to a computer often becomes little more than a daisy wheel printer with extra functionality.

And in case anyone does not believe me, it is in fact possible to make a typewriter cooperate with a modern PC running Windows.

Smith Corona XD6600 & Royal Alpha 2015

27-7-2023 07:46:02  #2

Re: Typewriting? Typeprinting?

TumbleWeed, this is a must-bookmark site for anyone interested in electronic typewriters: https://etzone.org/ . explore the whole site and perhaps correspond with the writer.

27-7-2023 17:34:53  #3

Michael...thanks for the link.  That Andy Rooney article was a fun read for me.

The only "wedge" I wanted in my life in the late 1970's and early 1980's was this one...

28-7-2023 12:48:48  #4

M. Höhne wrote:

TumbleWeed, this is a must-bookmark site for anyone interested in electronic typewriters: https://etzone.org/ . explore the whole site and perhaps correspond with the writer.

Thank you for the link! The biographies of the machines have more than satisfied my desire to learn about the machines and their histories.

Now I'm interested in learning about the operation of the machines that I already have.

Smith Corona XD6600 & Royal Alpha 2015

Board footera