You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-9-2023 12:26:25  #1

Royal Parade - "Americana Junior"

Have had no luck finding a decent and affordable Royal Futura 800 in the "Americana" colour scheme.

So decided to take a SGW find of a blue Parade typewriter which needed its Tab functions fixed and its space bar sorted so it does not cause the carriage to fly across to the end-margin.

Once I sorted those issues, I decided to add colour accents to make myself a so-called "Americana - Junior".

These Parades with their Tabulator functions are nice little machines to use outdoors and on the go.  This one dates to 1963.

Case needs some repairs and cleaning, still.

08-3-2024 21:40:36  #2

Re: Royal Parade - "Americana Junior"

I was finally able to snag a very decent "Americana" (Royal Futura 800) to add to my collection.

I have had a near mint typewriter case sitting empty for over 2 years that still has a perfect factory handle and all.

This machine will need a repaint of the ribbon cover as some areas are down to bare metal.  And new felt padding under the ribbon cover.

I will also plan to do my "hack" where I bring the ribbon colour-selection lever to the front of the machine just above the Tab set button (as I did on my other 2 machines).

More photos to come when my spa day treatments are finished.

09-3-2024 07:05:56  #3

Pete E. wrote:

I was finally able to snag a very decent "Americana" (Royal Futura 800) to add to my collection.

I have had a near mint typewriter case sitting empty for over 2 years that still has a perfect factory handle and all.

This machine will need a repaint of the ribbon cover as some areas are down to bare metal.  And new felt padding under the ribbon cover.

I will also plan to do my "hack" where I bring the ribbon colour-selection lever to the front of the machine just above the Tab set button (as I did on my other 2 machines).

More photos to come when my spa day treatments are finished.

I had a Futura 800 a couple of years ago that needed new paint on the top. I couldn't match the light blue color exactly but found something similar but not great. Since sold. Your cream top should be easier to get a decent match. Nice color scheme that one.

- Be kind 

10-3-2024 12:15:30  #4

Mike...yep some of those Royal paint colours can be a chore to try to custom blend.

14-3-2024 11:02:57  #5

Got the Futura 800 case ready to put back into service.

I can do these in the kitchen as I do not use any toxic cleaners.

The typewriter is still waiting for our Spring weather to arrive.  This week, our days are still only in the high 30* F's.  Too cold for driveway/garage work, for now.

14-3-2024 11:20:18  #6

Primo case there.
Pete, I hate to rub it in but sunny today here and a high of 78 degrees. Typewriters have to sit while I continue work on '71 VW Karmann Ghia restoration.

- Be kind 

15-3-2024 06:04:38  #7

Very nice briefcase !

16-3-2024 09:20:09  #8

Here is another Royal case that came with a broken Royal Heritage machine.  The machine went into my parts stash...but the case is now in good use.

16-3-2024 13:32:49  #9

Most of the work on my new-to-me Royal Futura 800 in the Americana colour scheme is now completed.

Full service done,  Ribbon cover got a re-paint and some paint touch-ups to the blue cowlings completed. 

It has a nice, easy to read Pica 10 size type...which I prefer.

I think this Futura was seldom used.  It feels very tight like it was never really broken in.

Work still to do :

1.  Adjust the ribbon vibration as it hangs up now and then when in use.

2.  Extend the ribbon colour selector lever under the ribbon cover to come out on the front panel.

16-3-2024 15:11:25  #10

That is a cheerful looking machine. Good work.

- Be kind 

Board footera