You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-10-2023 16:59:20  #1

Curiosities from Auction Team Breker

The folks at Auction Team Breker have posted listings for their next auction. In addition to a number of German and Eastern European typewriters are several demo machines, and Underwood for writing on flat surfaces (never seen that before), and a Czech knockoff of the Valentine? 

I'd also not known that Mignon indexers came in all kinds of colors.

Science&Techn./Mechan.Music/Photogr.&Film Auction on Nov 04, 2023 by Auction Team Breker in NRW (liveauctioneers.com)

(And, of course, they have all kinds of other interesting machines and antique gadgets to look at as well).

12-10-2023 17:35:13  #2

Re: Curiosities from Auction Team Breker

robmck wrote:

... and Underwood for writing on flat surfaces (never seen that before),...

That Underwood is actually a book recording machine. It was designed for typing in bound record books instead of writing in them. It was also possible to make carbon copies using this model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-10-2023 20:09:42  #3

Re: Curiosities from Auction Team Breker

Interesting. Thanks Uwe!

Looks like this class of machines is discussed on the same page that Pete pointed me at the other day (Special Purpose Office Typewriters (officemuseum.com)), and includes how the maker of one such machine, Elliot & Hatch Typewriter Co, merged with a competitor, Fisher Book-Typewriter Co, which explains the Underwood connection.

Curious design: the majority of the typewriter is also the carriage as it looks like it slides along a stationary mount.

I wonder how they line it up on the page. A few more pictures here (Underwood Typewriter [History, Value, Models] - A Complete Guide (txantiquemall.com)) but none show any crosshairs or alignment guide. These and the officemuseum photo make it look like there may have been wheels at the back (which the Breker machine is lacking), perhaps to scoot the whole thing along as a line advance?

Board footera