You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-2-2024 11:50:38  #1

Verticle Cursive Script - Example

There was some over-priced S-C Silent offered for sale for $ 2,500 USD.

Only thing I was curious about was its verticle cursive script (see below).

Bit harder to read that my own penmanship.

I searched the Forum for other examples but did not find any results to my searches.

26-2-2024 12:38:59  #2

Re: Verticle Cursive Script - Example

Which generation Silent was this installed in? That particular typeface was available for decades, and if it isn't Raro #222, it's certainly very similar to it. I know #222 was available for Underwood, but without knowing what year this Silent dates to, it's hard to comment on the typeface manufacturer.

For what it's worth, I think the use of non-italicized script was far more common in the first half of the 20th century. 

Here's one of my machines with the same/similar typeface:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-2-2024 14:02:20  #3

Pete E. wrote:

.... snip ....
I searched the Forum for other examples but did not find any results to my searches. .... snip ....

You'll probably find some while scrolling through these 1,196 screens > https://typewriterdatabase.com/twdb.11950.typefaces

26-2-2024 14:08:42  #4

Hi Pete

A few years ago, I bought a 1955 Smith-Corona Silent-Super S/N 5T-362388X through eBay because it was the Desert Sand colour. The seller evidently didn't know much about typewriters as there was no mention of the typeface. It wasn't until I was unpacking the unit that I realized it had the vertical script typeface. I'll scan and post a picture of the typeface a little later. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-2-2024 16:36:27  #5

Uwe,

Sorry...I did not save a link for the machine only a photo of its print out.  That $ 2500 asking price sort of turned me off.

It looks like S-C Script No. 46, 10 Pitch as Ted Munk mentions in this article :

https://munk.org/typecast/2022/02/26/the-story-of-upright-script-aka-script-46-ra-oxford-script/

26-2-2024 17:02:23  #6

Better look at the S-C Script No. 46 (from the 1950's) :

Board footera