You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-3-2024 06:31:26  #1

Restore/change paper feed rollers

Hello
I have a Rooy B44 machine, the rubber paper feed rollers (small roller under the big roller/platter) are cooked, they crumble, even the very small ones which are between the widest...
I read things on the forum that the best solution is to send the roll to JJ Short Associates, but I don't want that solution...
Also, the machine looks quite a bit like the Underwood 2, 5, 6, 10, in short, the first big Underwood...

So do you have any other ideas to change/restore it's rollers?
THANKS

03-3-2024 08:27:52  #2

Re: Restore/change paper feed rollers

I hear folks use small-sized rubber tubing from auto-stores...

03-3-2024 10:59:55  #3

That's an idea, thanks Pete E ...
If anyone else has other ideas, I'm interested ...

03-3-2024 18:20:50  #4

Hi OW

I have used 3/16" Tygon small engine fuel line for the feed rollers on a 1937 Remington 5 Streamline with good success. Careful measurement of the metal roller core will tell you the inside diameter of line or hose required. Trial and error will tell you the best outside diameter.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-3-2024 04:12:44  #5

Thank you Skywatcher, yes, it is true that this must be carefully measured, so that the diameter of the center corresponds to the metal support...
However, does it matter that the outer diameter is not the same as the original one (not smaller obviously, but larger) ?

04-3-2024 14:03:19  #6

Hi Again

As long as the tubing clears the slots in the paper tray and the rollers turn freely, it will work. When I tried using 3/16" braided neoprene fuel line for this application, the outside diameter was slightly larger and the rollers would not clear the slots in the paper tray, so it wouldn't work.

The braided fuel line would clear the slots in the paper tray when I first checked it for size, but once pressed onto the metal core, it would not. The fuel line was a snug fit onto the core, and sliding it over the core expanded just enough for it not to work. Hope this makes sense,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

05-3-2024 05:36:41  #7

Thank you skywatcher for the precise information and it was very clear...
I'm going to look into getting a fuel line for my rollers.
And also, there doesn't seem to be this on portable machines (but I can't be sure), but on my Rooy B44, there are small and very thin rollers between the larger rollers , what are the smaller rolls for, because they don't touch the paper ?

05-3-2024 15:41:47  #8

OlivWriter wrote:

.... snip ...., there are small and very thin rollers between the larger rollers , what are the smaller rolls for, because they don't touch the paper ?

Spacers

06-3-2024 07:01:16  #9

I'm talking about its small rollers (I doubt that they are spacers, because there are other small parts with this function), the photo comes from the site la-machine-à-écrire.com and shows the little rubbers :

06-3-2024 15:32:19  #10

Those are rubber spacers to stop the paper pan from rattling.  You can easily replace these with automotive tubing and the size does not have to be exactly the same.

Board footera