You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-3-2024 03:13:58  #1

Underwood No 5 Margin Release Button Issue

Hello, I have a 1928/1942 Underwood No 5 (apparently completely rebuilt in 1942 or so losing most of its original character ). The issue is with the margin release button. The bell rings and it stops as it should but the button does not release the carriage. If i push the bell rack frame lever to the right the carriage will continue as it should and stop as it should. I have been through countless service manuals and none seem to cover this specific issue. Am i missing any springs? How does the bar get pushed by the metal rod if there not close together at all? Am i just missing something obvious as I'm more electrically inclined then mechanically lol. See https://imgur.com/a/lHrmigU. Note: the carriage is at the right margin in the photos.
Thanks

11-3-2024 05:44:39  #2

Re: Underwood No 5 Margin Release Button Issue

Unfortunately your photos do not show up on my computer, but I can speak in general terms.  This is a common problem with this model and one of the first things to wear and go out of adjustment.  When worn, it can be very difficult indeed to set up.  As the carriage nears the RH margin, a ramp on the margin stop should contact the stop and first ring the bell, then a few spaces further on, lock the keyboard.  The stop can sometimes wear out of adjustment so that it doesn't contact the ramp properly.  With care, the stop can be bent downwards to get more contact.  It doesn't look as if it will bend, but it is made of softer metal than it appears.  Be careful with it though.

11-3-2024 06:12:13  #3

Here's the correct link to the images: https://imgur.com/a/QXVbsqq
Thanks for the reply. But the bell rings as it should and the carriage stops at the margin without issue, pushing the button does nothing but if i push the bell rack frame lever to the right the carriage will continue as it should and stop as it should at the end of the margin.

19-3-2024 01:58:47  #4

Basically what I'm trying to get at is, the margin release button does nothing (other than spring back out smoothly when pushed lol) when the carriage has stopped on the first stop point on the left margin block, is there a spring missing? or does anyone have any pictures of the area so i can compare?
Thanks

19-3-2024 08:23:18  #5

skatermem wrote:

Basically what I'm trying to get at is, the margin release button does nothing (other than spring back out smoothly when pushed lol) when the carriage has stopped on the first stop point on the left margin block, is there a spring missing? or does anyone have any pictures of the area so i can compare?
Thanks

Unclear about "the first stop point on the left margin block". The test is this: push the carriage against either margin, then hold down the Margin Release key and push the carriage further. It should go, past where the margin stop had stopped it. The margin release key will do nothing unless there is a force to push the carriage beyond where the margin stop had stopped it. (And if the margin is set at the extreme end of carriage travel, then the MR key cannot do anything.)

There is not a spring involved in releasing the stop; there is a spring to return it to its rest position.

19-3-2024 08:34:44  #6

Thanks for the reply. Its hard to explain lol. The margin release lever on the top of the machine works fine but the margin release button does nothing when the carriage is against the left margin unless i push the bell rack frame lever to the right then it continues for 4 characters and stops and if i push on it again it continues for one more character and at that point the carriage is against the end of the margin stop. 

19-3-2024 08:36:15  #7

Hello I have the same problem with my Rooy B44 which has a mechanism similar to the Underwood No 5...
I created a topic here: https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=34032
But I think skatermem explains the problem better !
It is the small spike located at the end of the rod which activates the bell which blocks against the stop of the key locking bar which poses a problem, finally, I believe...
Photo of the rod :

19-3-2024 09:02:57  #8

That's interesting. so I'm missing a spike then?

20-3-2024 03:22:20  #9

I just reread the 1930 copy of the manual for the No.5 and it refers to it as the Key Lever Lock Release (I was going from an older manual that called it the Left Marginal Release Key lol) I believe that's where the confusion about what I'm talking about stems from. Is it possible a mod could rename the title of this thread to Underwood No 5 Left Marginal Release Key/Key Lever Lock Release Issue?

20-3-2024 06:31:14  #10

skatermem wrote:

That's interesting. so I'm missing a spike then?

No, but it may be out of adjustment, shifted or twisted...
Because the spike hits against the key lock bar when the margin is activated...
But for me (on my Rooy B44), if I shift this bar, the bell no longer rings... So it's not sure that that's it...

Board footera