You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2024 09:02:31  #1

How to recognize a Pica or Elite font ?

Hello
How to recognize a Pica or Elite font ?

THANKS

15-3-2024 12:27:41  #2

Re: How to recognize a Pica or Elite font ?

Count the number of characters in one inch. If there are 10, it is pica; if 12, it is elite. That is all.
The easiest way to do this does not even require you to type anything; just hold a ruler up to the paper bail or other gauge on the typewriter and note the number of tick marks there are in one inch: there will be 10 for pica and 12 for elite.

To judge from a photograph, note the highest number on one of the type gauges on the tw, and divide that by the length of the platen in inches. You will, of course, have to guess at the length of the platen, but regular ones are about 8.5-9 inches and wide carriage ones are about 11.5 inches. 100 ticks on a 10.25" platen is 10.2, so pica, e.g.

HTH

15-3-2024 12:43:57  #3

Thank you, but there is also another difference that I notice, the "W" on some models has the central bar that goes up to the top, and other models have the central bar that stops halfway up...
What does this represent ?

15-3-2024 20:52:43  #4

OlivWriter wrote:

Thank you, but there is also another difference that I notice, the "W" on some models has the central bar that goes up to the top, and other models have the central bar that stops halfway up...
What does this represent ?

That represents a design choice by the typeface designer, a variation for style reasons. You can see a similar, tho opposite, variation in some "M" designs. In fact, once you begin looking closely at typeface design, you will see a tremendous number of such tiny differences in all the characters (though not in every pair of characters every time). Such variations show up often in the numerals and such alpha characters as G, g, Q, f, K, R, and so on. You will see dollar signs with one vertical line and others with two.

This is the same phenomenon you see when you compare typeface designs on your computer: Times, Baskerville, Garamond, Palatino, Cambria, Bookman, Courier, Goudy, Minion, Bembo, Wiedeman among serif designs and Arial, Avant Garde, Avenir, Comic Sans, Eras, Helvetica, etc. among sans serif designs.

None of these designs have anything whatsoever to do with pica and elite in typewriters which are solely measures of pitch and not even the height of the characters.

HTH

15-3-2024 23:00:19  #5

Hi Olivier

The pitch of a typewriter is measured like the threads on a nut and bolt. Over here in North America, threads are measured in threads per inch (TPI). In Europe, typewriter pitch like threads are measured in millimetres per character or distance between the crests of a thread as expressed in mm.

For example, a standard 5/16" bolt over here is usually 18 TPI. An 8mm bolt in Europe is typically 1.25 mm between crests. Typewriter pitch over here is most commonly 10 cpi or 12 cpi. The most common typewriter pitch in Europe I believe is 2.3 mm per character. This pitch is often referred to as European Elite and comes close to 11 cpi (clarification or correction requested).

As for the differences in individual letters, these come down to the typeface with which the typewriter was ordered. When you are typing up an e-mail or drafting up a document on a word processing program on your computer, you have the choice of many different fonts for your document.

If you were ordering a typewriter from an office supply store back in the middle of last century, the sales clerk would show you a booklet containing the various different typefaces available for that particular make and model of typewriter. Once you ordered your typewriter, that's the typeface is had built into it. Most people who could afford a typewriter, could only afford one, so they would make sure it came with a typeface they liked. Hope this gives you a rough idea,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-3-2024 06:34:48  #6

So, if I understand correctly, Pica or Elite, it's not the style of the letter, but the space between the characters ?
And the style of the letters is completely independent of that ?

16-3-2024 16:49:03  #7

OlivWriter wrote:

So, if I understand correctly, Pica or Elite, it's not the style of the letter, but the space between the characters ?
And the style of the letters is completely independent of that ?

That is correct. And you don't have to capitalize the terms. In fact the name of a typeface or a font usually is capitalized.

16-3-2024 18:47:56  #8

Along with the space between the characters...is the fact that the size of the characters differs between 10 CPI (Pica) and 12 CPI (Elite).

With my advancing ages and eye-sight, I gravitate more to Pica type fonts as they are larger in size and easier for me to see as I type.

19-3-2024 08:43:02  #9

Thank you all for your very satisfactory responses. !!!

01-4-2024 13:08:06  #10

skywatcher wrote:

The most common typewriter pitch in Europe I believe is 2.3 mm per character. This pitch is often referred to as European Elite and comes close to 11 cpi (clarification or correction requested).

Sky, I do not know if 11 cpi is the most common typewriter pitch in Europe. I do know that it is one of the most common pitches in the Netherlands, evenly split with 10 and 12 cpi.

In general, most European typewriter brands offered Pica and the 11 and/or 12 cpi Elite. Olympia offered the 10 and 11 cpi as their standard typefaces. Triumph/Adler did the same, but somewhere around the 60s they offered all three pitches: 10 and 12 cpi for the portables and 11 cpi for the ultra-portables. Olivetti offered 10 and 12 cpi.

Note that the above information is based on my observations and only reflect the general trend, not taking into account all brands and time periods. 

Here are some examples of European type sizes for reference:

ERIKA 

Perl (2.25 mm) 
Pica (2.6 mm)

Siegfried Junge et al, Entwicklung und Produktion von Erzeugnissen der Schreibtechnik im Kombinat Robotron (2008), p13
http://erika-electronic.de/bilder/robotronStk.pdf 

OLYMPIA 

Perl (2.3 mm)
Pica (2.6 mm) 

Olympia Schriften, Olympia Werke AG (1969), p2 
https://www.laurenzvangaalen.nl/olympia-traveller/downloads/olympia-typeface-leaflet-de.pdf  

Board footera