You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-4-2024 09:07:10  #1

Meadow Green - Royal Futura 800...

As the factory-version of the Meadow Green variant of the Royal Futura 800 seem expensive...even if you can find one to buy.

Thought I might try some colour mock-ups to see how close in colour-match I can get with ready-off-the-shelves spray paints currently available at local stores or on-line.

I have an opportunity to buy a decent grey-on-grey Futura 800 for around $ 30 (with no case) that is only 10-12 miles from my home.  Decent machine in need of a deep clean & service...but otherwise in good operating condition.

The first photo (Mock Up No. 1) is pretty close yet different enough to present a "forgery" in a future sale if a seller tries to pass it off as original.

The second photo (Mock Up No. 2) is a bit of a variation away from the original.  Not sure if I like this mock-up.

Might keep looking at other green colours.

09-4-2024 18:25:42  #2

Re: Meadow Green - Royal Futura 800...

Cool! I like the contrast of the second one. Is there a color for the ribbon cover that's slightly less yellow, but equally light?

10-4-2024 07:30:59  #3

Hi Rob,

I think the Rustoleum "moss green" in satin is a very good match for the original front-panel cover colour.

I will keep searching for a better colour for the ribbon cover.  But I do have the two mock-up colours for the ribbon cover on order and will have them in a week or so to do some spray-out examples.

In the mean time, I will visit my local ACE hardware and local D&B Supply...as they have their own colour offerings that are always different that what Rustoleum and Krylon have available.

10-4-2024 09:38:54  #4

Rob,

This "Green Apple" in satin by Rustoleum might be as close as I can get with off-the-shelf offerings. 

I like that it is a satin-finish as well.  AFter a couple of days of curing, you can polish the satin out a bit to get more shine but not as shiney as the gloss-paints.

I will try to round up a can and use it with my spray-out examples...

10-4-2024 13:18:45  #5

Here is a great photo of what appears to be a factory finish...

10-4-2024 15:17:28  #6

Nice springtime color.

- Be kind 

10-4-2024 15:25:22  #7

I tried to match the blue on a Futura 800 but my closest spray blue was too intense and needed to be more grayish blue. 

- Be kind 

10-4-2024 18:22:31  #8

Hi Mike,

Those Royal colours are tough, aren't they ?

I might just take another tip from Nature.

Here is a succulent called Euphorbia (aka Wood Spurge).  I have some here in Idaho and theyeven comes back after our very cold Winters.  Most of the plant will freeze but as it droops, it covers its root base where new growth comes back. 

You have to be care around kids and pets, as Euphorbia is toxic and secretes a white, sticky sap when you prune it or if the stalks are accidentally broken.  Cleaning up well is a must after pruning including your cutters.

11-4-2024 11:15:40  #9

Great idea taking inspiration from nature's color combos.

I wonder, Pete, if a small airbrush rig is in your future - that way you can perfectly mix the colors exactly the way you want. (e.g. just a touch of yellow to that blue for the ribbon cover to grey it slightly).

12-4-2024 18:28:54  #10

Hi Rob,

I would be afraid that an air-brush would lead me down a rabbit-hole that I should really stay away from.

Might become a Hotrod Typewriter v.2 shop...

I am good with the rattle cans and the colours not quite being identical to factory colours keeps the machines from being sold as all-original in the future by folks inclined to do so.

Board footera