You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-4-2024 21:37:27  #1

Ribbon comparison

Feeling a bit too under the weather today to attempt ring/cylinder and motion adjustments on my Parade, I decided to do something that I've wanted to do for a long time: compare silk, nylon, and cotton ribbons on a number of my machines.

The results are below. Each of the ribbons is from Ribbons Unlimited and freshly opened for this experiment. The paper is Hammermuehle A4 20lb laser printer paper (it's what was on-hand). 

In general, as others on this forum have pointed out, silk outshines nylon. It is interesting, though to see how very differently the three behave on each machine. I do like the way cotton shows on pica and tend to use that on most of my pica machines, even though it requires more type slug cleaning. I'd not tried silk before today. 

And please excuse all the smudges and increasing mistakes as it goes along. Perhaps I should've stayed in bed and attempted this another day...

(click to get to the full resolution scan)

29-4-2024 08:35:53  #2

Re: Ribbon comparison

HI Rob,

Thanks for doing this.  Such a nice comparison.

Too bad, we did not get to see of photo of your fingers all inked-up after all that work.

Get well soon !

29-4-2024 19:35:00  #3

That's where a pair of latex or vinyl examination gloves come in really handy (pardon the pun). Put the gloves on, do your ribbon work, take the gloves off and hands still clean.

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

30-4-2024 15:52:52  #4

Thanks for sharing this, Rob!

30-4-2024 17:09:52  #5

skywatcher wrote:

That's where a pair of latex or vinyl examination gloves come in really handy (pardon the pun). Put the gloves on, do your ribbon work, take the gloves off and hands still clean.

Amusingly, I was wearing nitrile gloves (just as when I'm working the car) when I did this, and having those gloves on made some part of my brain go, "Well, since I've got gloves on, my hands are clean no matter what, so I don't have to wipe them after changing a ribbon" - hence all the smudges and my having to frequently wipe the keycaps off...

30-4-2024 21:52:13  #6

I have gotten pretty good with 2 pairs of long-tweezers when it comes to changing ribbon...no longer need to use gloves.

Board footera