You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-8-2014 15:12:43  #1

Newbie question with an Olivetti M40

Hi everyone!

I'm from France (so sorry for my english, everyeone knows the cliché that says french people doesn't know how to talk another language ), and I'm a newbie in typewriter.

Actually I'm a fountain-pen fan, and my love for these writing tools led me to love everything related to writing.
So I really wanted to acquire an old typewriter.

And I finally realised this dream recently, I found an old and dusty typewriter in a thrift shop, for only 10€ (so only 13~14$), so I thought it wasn't a big investment, even if I can't figure how to make it work.

I made some research on the internet to know a little more about it, and I think it is an Olivetti M40 II, but tell me if I'm wrong!

And here comes my first problem:
This is my first own typewriter ever, and the first I have in my hands since the "old" 80's typewriter I played with when I was a kid in the late 90's, and I have absolutely no clue how to change the ink ribbon.  (I told you, this is a newbie question!)
The one that is still in the typewrtier is completely dry, and I don't know how to remove the ribbon spool, I thought you just have to pull it out, but I can't do it just like that, it looks like it's stuck. Do you know if I have to unscrew something or anything like that?

So here's my second question: Is it easy to find a ribbon for this typewriter? I don't really know where I can find it, or the good sellers on the internet.

Last edited by aldaris (29-8-2014 15:22:48)

30-8-2014 12:14:21  #2

Re: Newbie question with an Olivetti M40

Beautiful typewriter! I've always wanted an M40, but they aren't very common in Canada and I'm too cheap to pay for the shipping for such a big machine.

To remove the spools on your typewriter, my guess would be that you would need to unscrew those chromed nuts on top of the ribbon covers, remove the ribbon covers, and then lift the spools off their spindles. There might be a ribbon guide that you will need to move out of the way first before you lift the spool. As for ribbon, ANY typewriter ribbon (13 mm - ½ in.) will work. You can find ribbon almost anywhere like eBay (typewriterman - a member here -  also sells ribbon too) and shouldn't cost you more than around 8 EUR. The M40 might use special spools, so the worst case would be that you would have to transfer the ribbon from the plastic spool that it comes on to the spool on your M40. NEVER throw out anything that was on your machine. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-8-2014 19:41:09  #3

8 euro for a typewriter ribbon?  Over here in Bangkok I pay 100 baht, that's just over 2euro, at the stationery store next to my work.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

31-8-2014 15:23:51  #4

Thanks!
You were right, I just needed to unscrew thee chromed nuts. I tried it before but it seemed to be jammed and I didn't want to force it and brake it.

So next step: change the ribbon!

01-9-2014 01:17:57  #5

NDW76 wrote:

8 euro for a typewriter ribbon? Over here in Bangkok I pay 100 baht, that's just over 2euro, at the stationery store next to my work.

That's a great price. I was quoting average online prices, but it could be that ribbon is as cheap in Europe if you visit an office supply store in person. In Canada, if you can find ribbon in a store, it's typically around $10, which to me is still inexpensive when compared to computer printer ink.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera