You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-9-2014 10:24:01  #1

"Rheinmetall Borsig Kleinschreibmaschine" dating ?

Hello,
i ´m new to the forum and would need someone to help me date my Rheinmetall.
I bought it in like-new condition some 10 years ago with a case and keys.
I´d like to know if it is pre- or post-war.
I made, but cannot enclose pictures yet, but the ser.no. is 234 909.
I found only articles about the RB-models in general.

Since writing with it seems a bit more tyring due to the very steep key alignment, I consider
buying another small typewriter and save this one for some collector´s value in the future.

There is a badge on it that is probably the name of a dealer in Offenburg, a town 100km north of me in the southwest of Germany.
I like to keep a mechanical typewriter around for short letters that I do not need to keep copies of, some journaling or filling out forms.
Thanks for looking into it.

04-9-2014 20:46:09  #2

Re: "Rheinmetall Borsig Kleinschreibmaschine" dating ?

Sincerely,
beak.

04-9-2014 23:29:53  #3

It should be a 1939 model, so maybe pre-war, but also possibly during the war. I strongly recommend contacting Georg Sommeregger; he has a nice page about your machine and is very knowledgeable. There must have been a busy typewriter dealer in Offenburg, because I have seen a few machines over the years that were sold there. I hope you post a few pictures of your wonderful machine some time soon!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-9-2014 11:37:30  #4

thank you very much ... (this being my second post, i should be able to post the pictures now... )

05-9-2014 11:40:58  #5

05-9-2014 11:55:10  #6

I´m sorry that the pics are somewhat bad.

Now that I know the age I will try to make better ones ;)
I actually cleand and oiled her up a little yesterday, carefully, after going through the typewriter blogs on the web.
It is astonishing how long these things will work. This one came from a former work buddy who broke up households in his spare time. They turn up on the German ebay frequently, but usually they are not quite as nice as mine.

I never thought she was that old.
I speculated on the 1950s as I have a Walther PPK from 1952 with a dealer engraving.
"Franz Müller" was the dealer in Offenburg here for the RB.

I seriously consider buying some almost-NOS Japanese "travel typewriter" now. I spent the age before the Personal Computer with perfect satisfaction using a small Quelle (a German major mailorder retailer like Sears in the US) machine, but she gave up after a few thousand pages ;)

Last edited by braunbart (05-9-2014 13:12:07)

05-9-2014 13:23:12  #7

Oh, that machine is beautiful.

05-9-2014 22:40:45  #8

Fantastic example and a very nice colour too. It certainly is a keeper!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-9-2014 07:32:35  #9

Can someone tell what the function of the "pusher" on the left side cylinder knob is ?
I can´t make out what is good for.
Here are some pics of the RB in the sunlight :

06-9-2014 18:42:28  #10

That'sa fine example - good find!
I haven't got one of these, but I'd guess that the 'pusher' is to free the platen so that it can be rolled to align with the text when reinserting paper to continue and amend.  I think it resets the zero position for the line spacing,

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera