You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-9-2014 04:33:43  #1

Cleaning

I was talking to a collegue from the Philippines today about typewriters. He said that they are still used in business in the Philippines and on the topic of cleaning he said they often used kerosene for cleaning the mechanics of the typewriter. I just wanted to check here before I tried to clean my new, new to me, olympia sm3.
This collegue of mine seemed to remember that they even cleaned the segment with kerosene.

So should I get some kerosene?

Last edited by NDW76 (08-9-2014 05:13:15)

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

08-9-2014 16:38:59  #2

Re: Cleaning

Although I have not tried it myself, I can see no reason why it would not work.  However, make sure the machine is dried out afterwards because paraffin (as we call kerosine in the UK) promotes rust.  You will also have to thoroughly oil the machine afterwards too (use sewing-machine oil) .  I am pretty sure that kerosine would not affect the plastic parts, but just to be 100% certain try some on an inconspicuous part first.  Take all the outer casings and rubber parts off beforehand, so that you are only cleaning the actual mechanism.

08-9-2014 23:10:27  #3

I thought I read that kerosine is part of what is in denatured alcohol, which was recommended to me for cleaning the inner workings of a typewriter. It seems logical, albiet more risk of fire! 

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

09-9-2014 21:51:35  #4

De-natured alcohol (in the US) or Methylated Spirits (the rest of the world) is Ethanol (moonshine) that has poison additives added to prevent human consumption.

Kerosene is fuel oil and is refined from crude oil. They are unrelated.

Clark

Board footera