You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-9-2014 19:15:23  #1

What's The Difference? Understanding my fonts...

Hi all. I recently realized that there are certain fonts that I really like more then others. For instance, the font that is used in the Royal FP, I could do without. However, the font used in a Royal FP with serial numbers starting with FPS, I love! Can anyone identify these fonts by name for me, and whether the FPS font is found on other typewriters? Thanks.

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

10-9-2014 10:33:15  #2

Re: What's The Difference? Understanding my fonts...

I think you mean typeface, and not font, if you're discussing the design of what you see typed on the page. You have me curious about your FP example. I have a few in my collection, but they are either FPE (elite) or FPP (pica), which refers to the size of the typeface used. So I wonder what FPS is, script? Can you point us to where you saw this typeface that you liked? The only hope of identifying it would be to see it. Keep in mind there were seemingly countless typefaces used by the typewriter manufacturers over the years, most with very subtle differences between them.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-9-2014 15:57:45  #3

Hi. Here is where I saw the difference. It is from the Typewriter Database.

http://typewriterdatabase.com/1968-royal-fps.1241.typewriter

I came closest to matching it to the Royal Quiet Deluxe font that Richard Polt demonstrates here: (http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-fonts.html) but there are differences in the Q, j, Oo, 2, 3, and even the 6. There are other differences as well.

Thanks for your help. Oh... Is Uwe your actual name? How do you pronounce it?

Much appreciated!

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

10-9-2014 21:36:38  #4

It looks like this FPS has the same typeface. (Thanks for helping with the terminology.)

http://typewriterdatabase.com/1959-royal-fp.1367.typewriter

Thanks for everything.

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

11-9-2014 00:20:16  #5

Liv2BTru2u wrote:

Is Uwe your actual name? How do you pronounce it?

Yes, it's a real name, and fairly common in some parts of the world, but less so when it comes to North America. I gave up long ago trying to get people to pronounce it correctly, and have settled for telling the to say duvet without the d. Of course this only works if the person knows how to properly say duvet.

I'm going to have to look into this S variant more. I'm not sure I like the typeface, but I'd have to see what an entire page of it looks like. Here are the typefaces on my FPs for comarison:

1957 FPE (elite): http://typewriterdatabase.com/1957-royal-fp.2845.typewriter
1959 FPE (elite): http://typewriterdatabase.com/1959-royal-fp.2736.typewriter
1958 FPP (pica): http://typewriterdatabase.com/1958-royal-fp.1109.typewriter

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-9-2014 01:08:36  #6

Hi Uwe.

A name is a very important part of who someone is, and I work hard to honor ones name. I found a great little YouTube clip on your name: http://youtu.be/KLaZNpS6_Ek which I tried to practice with. It is a bit like the name Hoover, only no 'H', no 'r', and the 'U' is softer and smoother in sound then then 'oo'. Nice name.

As for the typeset, I have noticed that this is as unique to the person as is preference to typewriter models, makers, shapes, colors, etc. I love the large 'Q' in this font and the small 'j' and 'f' but it is the numbers that really stand out for me. They seem more crisp and to have more depth to me. The second link. I posted was actually my preferred example as the first one showed a lot of feathering or bleeding out. I have tried looking for font types with the letter 'S' and nothing appears to match. Thanks for your help.

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

11-9-2014 12:02:35  #7

Okay, that freaked me out a little. Kind of sad when a three letter name needs a YouTube video to explain its pronunciation, but the video is bang on. Thanks for point that out to me, I'll be sure to point others to it. 

You're right that typeface preferences can be a very subjective choice, however, there are objective elements involved when choosing a good typeface for certain applications. For example, you might really like a cursive typeface, and it would make a good choice for a short personal letter, or for use on an invitation card, but it's a horrible choice for a writer who spends the day editing what they've typed. Typeface design is a rather complex art form, and what might look nice on the page and contain asthetic appeal can be a poor choice when it legibility is the primary concern. The true test for such things is to type out an entire page and see how the typeface works when stacked line upon line. I've found that the type samples we collectors produce for the machines we have is not a very good indication of a typeface's usefullness.

11-9-2014 12:18:23  #8

You got me concerned Uwe, when you said it freaked you out! My initial reaction was to wonder what I had done to freak you out! But, I do hear what your saying. When a Toutube is made for something that basic... Ouch!

What font would you recommend for school papers? The recommend a San serif, and a 10 or 12 point font. Which of the type sets make a San serif?

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

22-6-2015 13:31:10  #9

FPP, FPE and FPS 

FPP 10 pitch machine with pica type, the machines made in Canada had Royal Pica type P but machines made in Holland had Ransmayer Pica Ro1 

10 pitch machines could be fitted with Elite type face at customer's request. (not fitted in the factory) 

FPE 12 pitch machine with Elite type machines made in Canada had Royal Elite type Eand later Ransmayer Ra 246 but machines made in Holland had Ransmayer Elite Ro7 

Special type could also be fitted ether as standard a type face, split typeface or hand engraved typeface. 

FPS could have 5, 10,12,16 and 20 pitch and almost any type face. 

5 pitch any typeface requited by the customer
10 pitch Imperial Pica Ro82 was one of the most common but the customer could request other typefaces factory fitted .
12 pitch Imperial Elite Ro84 and Brussels Ro88 were both common but the customer could request other typefaces factory fitted.
16 pitch any typeface requited by the customer
20 pitch any typeface requited by the customer 

Motion on the Royal FPThe motion on the Canadian FP was 6.73mm
The motion on the early Dutch was 6.6mm then later 7.6mm motion 
The normal motion for Portable Typewriters was 6.73 or 6.6mm 

PF typewriters were built with 11”, 13”, 16”, 21”, 27” and 33” carriages  

Last edited by dukedford (22-6-2015 13:36:44)

23-6-2015 11:17:53  #10

A jackpot of information! I've started keeping notes based on the data presented in your posts and I know it will really come in handy for a few articles I plan to write, so thanks again.

One small correction though:

dukedford wrote:

machines made in Holland had Ransmayer Pica Ro1

"Ro" denotes a Rodrian typeface. It's "Ra" that's used for Ransmeyer. The two companies did merge, but even then they still maintained their own slug identification lettering and logos.

I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer:
1. I assumed that Royal manufacturered its own slugs, but do you know for how many years the company produced its own slugs or where they were actually manufactured? Was it normal for slugs to be made in the same factory alongside the other parts of the machine? And why would Royal use German-made slugs for machines built in Holland, and its own slugs for those made in North America. The reason I ask is because so many independent slug manufacturers existed, many of which supplied manufacturers (albeit the smaller ones) with OEM slugs, and I'm trying to better understand the bigger picture in terms of typeface production.

2. Can you explain the term "motion"? I was aware that the specification existed, for example, the Olympia SG1 has a 7.6 mm "motion", but I've never been able to determine exactly what that measurement applies to. 

Board footera