You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-3-2013 21:28:57  #1

Sound Deadening

Does anyone know of a good product, which is also readily available, that is a good replacement for the sound deadening material used in typewriters? 

I've already looked at several automotive products, but they were too expensive and the quantities they're sold in was an overkill. I've also read somewhere that a certain roofing material would also work, BUT also that it could smell.

A few of my typewriters smell pretty strong from mold and it's starting to drive me crazy. And no matter what I've tried to kill the stuff with, the smell is still there albeit not as strong. Considering some my other typewriters also have deadening that is falling apart and is making a mess inside the machine, and others have none left at all, I thought it would be a good project to systematically replace all of the stuff in my machines. 

Oh, I should also add that I've experimented with just not having any in the machine at all, but the stuff does make a difference when it comes to noise, and when you type as much as I do, a loud machine quickly becomes irritating to use.

29-3-2013 00:18:44  #2

Re: Sound Deadening

In my typewriter, the padding is some variety of felt or foam. Have you considered ripping out the old stuff and replacing it with foam/felt padding? 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

31-3-2013 08:45:24  #3

I'd have said that ordinary crafting felt would be a good bet. You could glue layers together to get the right depth.

A few of my typewriters are on the musty side, but I can't see any sign of mould. These are portable machines in cases, so I might try dropping a few bags of silica gel inside them to mop up any residual moisture.

Last edited by Stevetype33 (31-3-2013 08:45:45)

31-3-2013 17:15:49  #4

Steve's got the right idea. Stickyback felt. Easily available at any arts-and-crafts shop. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

08-4-2013 07:31:48  #5

The smell, I assume, is the mould?  It gets wet and humid here sometimes, and mould is an occasional problem.  Classic cures are to ensure good air circulation and a good dose of sunlight regularly - though how much of that you get in Canada I don't know (just kidding). 

If mould is there, and you can't get rid of it, I would recommend ripping out the material and replacing it all anyway - mould could spread to more sensitive areas, and it's not good for the health either; some people are very sensitive to it.  A wash down of the surfaces with diluted bleach before sticking the new stuff in would help kill off any remaining spores.

There are several fabric sprays available here, intended for furniture coverings - tried those? 

A call to the local museum may be profitable - conservators are often helpful, I've found.

As to sound-deadening, look for fabrics or foams with a course, knobly texture; surface area should be as large as possible, and smooth fabrics have less surface area.

Last edited by beak (08-4-2013 07:56:24)

Sincerely,
beak.

26-7-2013 15:21:39  #6

Although not original to pre-1950's typewriters, I've noticed that Do It Yourself stores sell thin closed cell foam for use as an underlay for wood laminate flooring.  This is nearly identical to the material that Brother were using in their 1970's portables.  I've sucessfully silenced a clattering Silver-Reed Silverette with this stuff !

26-7-2013 23:51:28  #7

thetypewriterman wrote:

Although not original to pre-1950's typewriters, I've noticed that Do It Yourself stores sell thin closed cell foam for use as an underlay for wood laminate flooring.  This is nearly identical to the material that Brother were using in their 1970's portables.  I've sucessfully silenced a clattering Silver-Reed Silverette with this stuff !

Given you're in a different country there's a possibility that the building materials you use aren't the same as what we'd find here in Canada. We have two types of underlay commonly used for laminate flooring, one is something similar to what you've described, it's white and only a few mm thick. Is this the stuff you're talking about?

If it is, I would never have ever imagined using it in a typewriter, but if you've had good success with it, I'll certainly give it a go. What did you use to adhere it to the case?

27-7-2013 16:23:14  #8

Unfortunately it's different.  The white stuff looks like the cheapest that is sold here in England - which is not unlike the material used for packing round glass etc. in parcels.  It's a sort of polystyrene I think.  The stuff I have used is grey and is actually thin closed cell foam.  It is sold as a premium wood laminate floor underlay.  I happened to have some left over from a flooring job and noticed how similar the offcuts were to typewriter deadening.  I stuck it down with 'UHU' glue.  I suspect that if you used UHU on the white stuff, the solvents in the glue would dissolve it.  Sorry that this tip seems only applicable to the UK.

27-7-2013 17:22:19  #9

Some people have had good  luck with felt carpet padding. Use spray contact cement to attach.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/felt-carpet-padding

I've been using a noise-control foam that closely matches the original in IBM Selectrics:
http://foamforyou.com/charcoal_foam.htm#Charcoal%20Regular

Clark

30-7-2013 19:26:41  #10

thetypewriterman wrote:

It is sold as a premium wood laminate floor underlay. Sorry that this tip seems only applicable to the UK.

I found another underlay material that's available from my local big box; is this the stuff you're talking about? Because it looks like it woud be a good material to use and it's only 1/8 in. thick.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_90773-22925-PC100_4294856497__?productId=3570560&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

ProfessorC30 wrote:

Some people have had good  luck with felt carpet padding. Use spray contact cement to attach. I've been using a noise-control foam that closely matches the original in IBM Selectrics

Thanks for the suggestions Clark. Carpet underlay, at least the stuff that I'm familiar with, seems like it would be too thick. I was intrigued by the charcoal foam though, that was until I saw how much it costs.

One attribute of whatever I end up gluing inside my typewriters is that it be mould resistant - I really can't stand the smell of some of the machine that I've bought or the idea of what is living in their sound deadening material - so I'd like something that will help to prevent that. The laminate flooring and carpet underlay suggestions will probably both fit that bill.

Board footera