You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-9-2014 04:21:15  #1

Line space lever grinding on lid

I just got my Olympia sm3 in the mail yesterday. The carriage was a bit rough and bumpy, but after replacing the rubber washers with rubber tap washers that problem was fixed. But I still have the problem of the line space lever grinding on the lid when I try to advance to the next line.

Should I try adding more washers to lift it higher?

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

26-9-2014 10:46:20  #2

Re: Line space lever grinding on lid

What size washers did you use? And what's the clearance between the line space lever and ribbon cover - is it just touching, or digging into the cover? There's normally a large gap between the two on an SM3, unlike other machines that have a remarkably small gap, so it sounds like either the ribbon cover isn't properly seated (unlikely, I know), or possibly the line space lever - or its mounting bracket - is bent. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-9-2014 21:48:41  #3

Could be worth posting a picture; we may be able to compare the lever shape to our examples and tell if it's bent.

Sincerely,
beak.

27-9-2014 23:53:33  #4

Did this work?

27-9-2014 23:56:36  #5

The washers I used were 1 mm in thickness,  maybe I need to stack them up.

28-9-2014 11:19:07  #6

NDW76 wrote:

The washers I used were 1 mm in thickness, maybe I need to stack them up.

That's pretty thin, probably as thin as the squished/deteriorated washers you replaced. The ones that I always use on SM machines are 4 mm thick and seem to work fine. However, this doesn't address the line space lever. It seems from your photo that there is ample clearance between the lever and the ribbon cover, so at what point to the two come in contact with each other?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-9-2014 18:41:17  #7

The lever strikes the cover when the lever is pressed to the right to advance the line.

28-9-2014 20:15:20  #8

An SM4 that I fixed in the same way did exactly the same thng; the return lever only touched the case when moved to the right.  New washers cured everything, but they were much thicker than 1mm: I used cheap tap washers from the local hardware shop, which were about 3 or 4mm thick.
PS, I don't think the lever is bent, from your pix, you just need thicker washers as far as I can tell.

Last edited by beak (28-9-2014 20:16:03)

Sincerely,
beak.

29-9-2014 03:48:43  #9

I added some more washers, a stack of three. That's all I could fit in there and still have the screws engage. I also moved the mechanism forward in the case ever so slightly. Now the lever clears the case. I'm planning on putting it through its paces tomorrow.

04-4-2016 03:14:16  #10

Gosh I'd forgotten all about this when I went to use my newly purchased SM3. I'm making a note to *always* check the grommets/gaskets/washers on the feet before using a new SM3. :-) 

I had an old typewriter and a big idea. - J. K. Rowling

Board footera