You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-10-2014 16:08:26  #1

Newbie dumb question.

I am enjoying my Smith-Carona that I picked up a few months ago, but the lowercase t is slow to return.  It does not appear to be hitting the guide, so what would be the cause of this key almost jamming? 

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

12-10-2014 22:59:38  #2

Re: Newbie dumb question.

A little more information would be helpful, like the Smith-Corona model you're using and maybe a type sample. I'm not sure I understand the problem; is the slug making an impression on the paper, and the type bars slowly falling back to repose so that you have to type slowly or they hit each other? If so, it sounds like a dirty segment and a good cleaning should fix the problem.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2014 00:12:15  #3

Uwe wrote:

A little more information would be helpful, like the Smith-Corona model you're using and maybe a type sample. I'm not sure I understand the problem; is the slug making an impression on the paper, and the type bars slowly falling back to repose so that you have to type slowly or they hit each other? If so, it sounds like a dirty segment and a good cleaning should fix the problem.

It is a Smith-Carona Classic 12.   It makes a good impression but the lowercase t will sometimes be very slow to go to repose.  I was thinking it was a cleaning issue and I will contact the local repair guy to get a quote on getting it a good cleaning, as I lucked out and was able to get a typewriter that been well protected in it case for years and owned by a woman who took care of it.   I will get you a type sample in the morning as I have it at my work office.  

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

13-10-2014 11:48:41  #4

Cleaning the segment is a very easy task - you just need a few Q-tips and some Varsol - so I'd hold off on taking it a repair shop. The Classic 12 is a nice machine - so nice that I have two of them!  Does yours have the jewelled escapement?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2014 12:09:21  #5

Uwe wrote:

Cleaning the segment is a very easy task - you just need a few Q-tips and some Varsol - so I'd hold off on taking it a repair shop. The Classic 12 is a nice machine - so nice that I have two of them!  Does yours have the jewelled escapement?

Mine is the same wonderful shade of blue with the same logo design, but I do not have the Jewled Encapement.  

And it is a really nice machine.  I think some of the few issues I had with it was simply lack of use as more I use it the better it functions.   I will get some minieral sprits and qtips and clean it up a bit.  This is a "working" machine that I plan to use and not just have for just display.  

13-10-2014 17:32:02  #6

My other one is a non-jewel model, which means it was made prior to 1967. A lack of use can definitely create problematic side effects for a typewriter, and sometimes if you persevere, just using a machine will alleviate some of the issues.

Here's the non-jewel Classic 12 I have:

All Classic 12 models featured Smith-Corona's "adjustable type", two keys and slugs that could be easily replaced with optional characters. I assume your machine has the standard '1' and '=' keys?

Board footera