You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-10-2014 21:28:25  #1

Keychopper Alerts!

I have made this thread due to an alarming amount of "whole machines / just keys" ads in eBay. It is just sad how many machines are destroyed on a regular basis. Some may argue that they aren't working machines, but this KMM would beg to differ: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-ROYALTypewriter-w-Round-Square-Glass-Keys-Entire-Unit-or-KEYS-Only-/251669295179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a98a8b04b

It is almost certain that the only bidder is after the keys. I would bid on it, but I have two KMMs and little spare cash.

Sure, few will mourn the death of another common Royal standard, but how about this Smith-Premier? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SMITH-PREMIER-No-2-Typewriter-76-KEYS-Buttons-JEWELRY-Crafts-or-REPAIR-/161446896446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2596fc233e

Anyway, if you guys see similar ads on eBay or other online sites please post here, and maybe we as a community can save a few more machines from death.

12-10-2014 21:46:23  #2

Re: Keychopper Alerts!

I put in a bid on the working typewriter as it is a good price.  

Last edited by Zedwardson (12-10-2014 21:47:25)

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

12-10-2014 23:07:42  #3

Conversely you can send the seller a message pointing out your objection to their indifference with the fate of a working piece of history. I thought we already had a topic (thread) on this subject. If I can find it I will merge the two, and I agree that it is something that collectors should be doing more to stop.

EDIT: Well, that's annoying. This forum won't allow me to merge threads (there was an identical one started a while back), so for reference here's a link to the other Keychopper Alerts topic.

Also, you could send these keychoppers a link to this article: Don't Feed the Keychopper

Last edited by Uwe (12-10-2014 23:18:20)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-10-2014 23:17:02  #4

Zedwardson wrote:

Good luck! I have always thought Royal standards are among the best typewriters out there

12-10-2014 23:17:52  #5

Uwe wrote:

Conversely you can send the seller a message pointing out your objection to their indifference with the fate of a working piece of history. I thought we already had a topic (thread) on this subject. If I can find it I will merge the two, and I agree that it is something that collectors should be doing more to stop.

Has the other thread always been pinned? I can't belive I missed it!

Well now it seems like it wasn't pinned in the first place, or it got moved

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (12-10-2014 23:20:21)

12-10-2014 23:20:40  #6

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Has the other thread always been pinned? I can't belive I missed it!  

No, it wasn't pinned, mostly because when you pin too many things it begins to make the forum cumbersome, but I did link to the other thread in which we did manage to change a seller's mind (see my post above).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-10-2014 23:50:19  #7

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Zedwardson wrote:

Good luck! I have always thought Royal standards are among the best typewriters out there

I was promply outbidded, so now I will have to think about how high i want to go for it.

Last edited by Zedwardson (12-10-2014 23:51:05)

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

13-10-2014 11:39:48  #8

I don't know how much the shipping would be for you, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it; it's in rough - cosmetically at least - condition. It is a very nice standard to type with though.

I have no interest in early machines, but I really hope someone saves that Smith. It's one thing to destroy a dirt-common machine, but such a model deserves a better fate, never mind the vaule it might have for parts.

13-10-2014 12:10:52  #9

Well my limit was $40 with shipping and have been outbidded.   So hopefully the higher bidder is someone who wants to machine, and not just the keys.   I am now focused on a creiglist ad that has a Royal HH and a Safari for $50 to get my a standard sized typewriter. 

Last edited by Zedwardson (13-10-2014 12:11:31)

Board footera