You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-10-2014 01:00:46  #1

What typewriter is this?

Hi, I just purchased this typewriter and I wasn't sure what model or year it was from?
I'm not sure how to add a picture just yet, but it says brother on it and that's written in chrome, there is a grey panel around the brother name and it has lines going horizontally across it.
It is a light blue colour

13-10-2014 11:57:32  #2

Re: What typewriter is this?

You need to have created three posts before you're allowed to post a picture (it's an anti-spam feature), and there are detailed instructions in the FAQ topic, which is pinned in the Type Talk sub-forum. 

If it's a Brother, there should be a serial number plated riveted to the back of the machine, that will help to determine the year of manufacture. As for the model, a photo would really help as Brother made a seemingly endless number of different models. It sounds like an earlier model such as a JP1, but we'd need a photo to positively ID it. On most Brother machines the model name is on the front valence, but since yours doesn't seem to have it, I'd consider that another indicator that it's an early model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2014 12:48:09  #3

How would I determine the year of manufacture from the serial number?

13-10-2014 12:54:45  #4

Okay so the serial number on the back reads
H7688415

13-10-2014 16:03:36  #5

From the serial number, your machine was made in September of either 1967, 1977 or 1987 (the serial number sequence repeats on a ten year cycle).  Hope this helps !

13-10-2014 17:23:52  #6

A simple photo of the front of the machine - or a link to one identical to it that you've found elsewhere - would give us the decade.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2014 21:59:54  #7

14-10-2014 08:24:57  #8

I'd say it's from 1967. Its case and overall design is identical to other Brother models I have from the era, but I don't know what this particular model was called. I've seen others like it, so it isn't uncommon; maybe someone more familiar with the brand can provide a more concise answer. 

Board footera