You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-10-2014 19:49:54  #1

Replacement Keys

I want to have a few replacement keys for my coming Royal Portable model "P" but I refuse to buy anything off key choppers. Does anyone know how to make your own replacements? (Also, if these suggestions work out well, I might make some typewriter jewelry for a... a very special female friend of mine. If you know what I mean...)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-10-2014 21:12:15  #2

Re: Replacement Keys

Ah, the Model P- great choice, I love mine to death. As far as replacements for keys go, that could get difficult... if you refuse to buy from keychoppers (good choice, supporting them just makes things worse) I would think your best bet is to find a suitable parts machine, as it would probably be very difficult to replacate the exact shape and size of the nickel rings... and that's not even accounting for the glass that has to go in place or the paper/cardstock inserts. How important is the key? Is it a number, symbol or letter? Perhaps you may just have to go without it..

21-10-2014 11:36:08  #3

Maybe we should back up a little. Why do the keys need to be replaced? Are they worn? Missing? Or are a few of the characters on the keys discoloured? Repairing them might be a far more realistic option. The nickel trim rings can be replated. The legend on them replaced. And if they're gouged from fingernails, they can be filled with epoxy.

As for the "glass", do the keys on a Royal P actually have glass, or is it a type of acrylic? The use of "glass" to describe the material used in typewriter keys seems to be one of the most overused and technically incorrect descriptions I hear. I don't really collect early 20th Century machines, but none of the models I have from the '20s and '30s have actual glass in their keys. (I might be wrong on a few of them - I'd have to double check to be certain). Most use a piece of some type of plastic over the character legend to protect them. It might look like glass from afar, but it isn't. Maybe someone who has more experience with earlier machines can shed some light on this?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-10-2014 16:11:28  #4

None of the keys are actually missing (thank goodness) but I would like to have a spare 'O' and '3/4' key, since they are in the worst shape. The keys if I were to guess, are not actually glass. But I just might experiment with some sheet metal my brother has and some hard plastic.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

21-10-2014 16:38:39  #5

If the keys are all there I'd concentrate on restoring rather than replacing them. Getting 'spares' will most likely be more difficult. It only costs around $5 to get a trim ring replated if its finish is worn down, and once the trim is off you can make your own character labels by scanning the old one and printing a colour-corrected new one. Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera