You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-10-2014 12:13:10  #1

WTT Olympia SM-7 cursive

Hi-

I recently got a light-blue Olympia SM-7 in very nice condition with the original case. It has a cursive typeface that I thought would grow on me, but it hasn't.  So I'm thinking I might try to trade it if anyone is interested.  I live in Los Angeles, California USA and I'd like to find someone close by if possible so I don't have to risk shipping it.  However, I would consider it if there's no one around me.

The typewriter functions and looks just fine. I actually love the feel, just not the typeface.  I can send pictures to anyone who is interested.  The forum won't let me post photos yet.

I would prefer to trade for an Olympia SM7 or SM9 (early - 1968 is great) with a pica or elite typeface in similar good condition. But I am also interested in any of these:

Hermes 2000 or 3000 (early curvy one) or Rocket
Olympia SF or Splendid
Olivetti Lettera 22 (a 50's brown one in good shape would be a fair trade, I think. Correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks for reading the post.  If you have any advice for me for other places to post let me know.  I would rather trade with another typer than sell it on Craigslist or eBay if possible.

Dave Philips

Los Angeles, CA

30-10-2014 13:59:54  #2

Re: WTT Olympia SM-7 cursive

I get not bonding with a cursive machine as I almost never use the ones that I own. They might be highly coveted by some collectors, but I find them too impractical for day to day use. However, if you don't find anyone local, I do have an extra SM7 that I would trade for yours just to have the different typeface in my SM collection.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-10-2014 15:14:27  #3

Thanks, Uwe.  I'll wait a bit to see if anyone close is interested, then I might take you up on it.

Dave

Los Angeles, CA

30-10-2014 18:32:06  #4

Boy do I wish I had a typwriter to trade you! I have the SM9 you want, but can't give it up- I have too few typewriters! Haha! I use the typewriters to write correspondence daily, so cursive would fit in for me. If you ever decide that you want to see it, let me know. 

30-10-2014 21:14:09  #5

Cursive is a curse, even for correspondence. The only old-school letters that I type are to people older than me and I know for fact that they appreciate the legibility of pica type over the apparent prettiness of cursive. Sure, cursive does have its place and is a nice diversion in short bursts, like when it's used for greeting cards or invitations, but I'd hate to have to read a densely-spaced five page letter in a machine's 'handwriting'.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-12-2014 20:59:00  #6

FYI- I sold this typewriter locally. Thanks for checking in though!

Dave

Los Angeles, CA

Board footera