You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-11-2014 23:29:05  #1

Do you get reactions from people that read your typewritten documents?

Hi Guys-

I got one of my first ever comments today about a typewritten document from someone that doesn't know me well enough to know that I use typewriters. It got me thinking! Do you ever give someone a form or a document that you typed and get any sort of reaction? This particular guy had a colleague who collected typewriters, so he was sort of aware of people like us out there. In fact, he even said that if he got started with typewriters, he too would probably get addicted to collecting, so he is trying to hold back. If it comes up again, I'll try to talk him into it  Ha! He had asked what typewriter I had used, and seemed to be impressed when I said Olympia. Have you had any similar expereinces? Just curious 

04-11-2014 04:10:28  #2

Re: Do you get reactions from people that read your typewritten documents?

Hasn't happened to me yet because I keep it all fairly low-key in this Digital Age. Although, I had a tonne of assignments to do in the last five weeks or so and opted to use the typewriter for a couple of them because I was just getting sick of staring at computer screens and found my vision blurring a little, as well as having to use eye drops a little more often throughout the day.
I don't know what my lecturers will make of it, since I haven't gotten any of these assignments back yet. I'd like to think that, since most of them are in their mid-50s or older, they may experience a slight nostalgia at seeing these documents typewritten.

I used my circa '46 Royal Quiet De Luxe for one assignment and my '66 Olympia SM9 for the other.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

05-11-2014 22:12:06  #3

Ektagraphic wrote:

Do you ever give someone a form or a document that you typed and get any sort of reaction? 

"Where'd ya find that font at? It looks like an actual typewriter wrote that!"

06-11-2014 00:40:39  #4

Actually, I have had fellow students say that to me in the past. Wow, that font looks like typewriter! They didn't believe me then that it was at typewriter...at least I dont' think. 

20-3-2015 06:35:37  #5

Yes, I often include typed sections in my (otherwise hand-written) letters, and the reaction is always positive.  It is often the case that the reader mentions that they have a typewriter too, and sometimes prompts them to drag it from the cellar for a quick trip down memory lane.  Some became addicted!
   I think I mentioned here before that a missing Monopoly card was spoiling some young visitor's game, and disappearing into my office for ten minutes and returning with what looked like a replacement card from an old set had them screaming; 'How did you do that!'.  Made my day.

Sincerely,
beak.

20-3-2015 18:41:35  #6

I went to Harbor Freight looking for some cleaning supplies for the old typewriter I'm working on.  I had a list that I had scribbled on a typing test scrap.  The guy who was helping me looked at my list and said, "wow, is that the actual typing?  It really works!" 

When I took two typewriters up to my son's class for a museum day (what got me started on this) the kids were amazed that it, "prints out right as you write it!!!"

25-3-2015 15:41:14  #7

Well I haven't handed anything in to anyone typewritten - the editors would not appreciate having to type it in themselves! - but most people who hear news of a typewriter are really happy to hear it. I had to go collect a heavy Adler standard today with a wheelie suitcase, and once I got it I went into a coffee shop. I said to the girl in there something like - 'Phew, I've been all across London with this thing and now it weighs a ton, it has a typewriter in it,' and she said - 'That's a happy day!'

25-3-2015 16:01:53  #8

Being a student in high school with a bunch of people who have never seen a typewriter before, I still get some remarks to this day even though I've been using it since October. Some kids ask to see my typed documents, and either say "Oh that's so cool!" or "Why don't you use a computer?" or something like that. My teachers either say nothing, or are mildly pleased with it. Especially the ones who have been there for awhile. But all think there's something wrong with me. But I don't care. When ever I hand in a typed document, I feel a certain sense of pride, like I'm helping continue an ancient art that has disappeared in my town for centuries. So I guess I always get a surprised reaction from people. But like I said, I feel pride in that reaction.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-6-2015 20:34:35  #9

"Where'd ya find that font at? It looks like an actual typewriter wrote that!"

get that said allll the time... And yes they probably think that theres something wrong with me too...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-7-2015 20:44:50  #10

I mainly use mine to send notes to people -- thank you notes, or notes accompanying a newspaper article or the like.  They get a kick out of an old-school typewritten piece of correspondence.  I realize the rules of etiquette dictate a handwritten note if it's a note of thanks, but actually something typewritten strikes me as even more meaningful: Generally I say more in a typewritten note than in a handwritten one, since the text is smaller!

Board footera