You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-11-2014 23:45:28  #1

The SM-4 find

I purchased an Olympia SM-4 today for $30 at a local flea market. It was extremely dirty but it all worked. There weren't any sticky keys either. I was just wondering if I paid too much, too little, or what is it worth.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

09-11-2014 01:16:10  #2

Re: The SM-4 find

An SM4 in working condition for $30? ALL DAY LONG! I'll give you $40 for it... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-11-2014 17:25:08  #3

Ha, $30 is nothing compared to the prices people pay for one on eBay. Does it have a special typeface?

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (09-11-2014 18:19:30)

09-11-2014 17:33:40  #4

Thirty bucks is nothing. I paid a lot more for my one. Rock-solid machines.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

09-11-2014 20:41:33  #5

Ok, I was just making sure. And no, it does not have a special typeface. I was hoping for a script font, but I still love my new machine, and since it cleaned up nicely too.

15-11-2014 03:13:23  #6

For one of the very best portable ever made, you have a gigantic bargain.

The combination of features, compact size, solidity of build and precice & easy typing action make this machine unique and, rightly, much sought after.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-11-2014 11:04:08  #7

The only down side to it is that the tabulator system doesn't quite work. the Set and Clear keys by the space bar don't quite move the tab pins. I have to press the tab pin up and down to have a tab. But that's just a small inconvinence for such a wonderful machine (and it's going to be my daily typer now that I found out that my SM-9 has wear on the teeth and will eventually  break... )

15-11-2014 22:21:12  #8

ztyper wrote:

The only down side to it is that the tabulator system doesn't quite work. the Set and Clear keys by the space bar don't quite move the tab pins. I have to press the tab pin up and down to have a tab. But that's just a small inconvinence for such a wonderful machine (and it's going to be my daily typer now that I found out that my SM-9 has wear on the teeth and will eventually  break... )

It may be that the tab alignment bar on the back of the machine has loosened, so misaligning the operating levers that push the teeth up and down - this happened to one of mine, and the fix is simple.  I posted it here, somewhere.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-11-2014 22:32:42  #9

When I look at the tab system (since it's visible on these models) the bars are aligned perfectly fine, but the tab pins are a bit sticky. What can I do to fix this?

15-11-2014 23:21:05  #10

ztyper wrote:

When I look at the tab system (since it's visible on these models) the bars are aligned perfectly fine, but the tab pins are a bit sticky. What can I do to fix this?

Classically, brushing down with meths would be a suggestion - in the same way that the section is cleaned for the typebars.  Always be careful to keep meths off the case finishes, of course.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera