You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-11-2014 00:09:27  #1

My (supposedly) last Oly.

So when I got my SM-9 back from the repair shop, I noticed a tiny little SM-9 on a shelf. Only it was not an SM-9, but an Olympia SF. I was just wondering about the machine and what special features it has. Because I may or may not have bought it...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-11-2014 00:21:03  #2

Re: My (supposedly) last Oly.

Is this the older flat SF or the remodelled angled ones? I have a red beautiful flat SF. I show it in a gallery on typewriterdatabase.com, and I will tell you that I love it! It dosent have the same light bounce that I get from the keys of my SM3 or SM4, but what I do get is a model that is small enough to throw into a backpack if I am riding the scooter. It is very portable (light weight) so it is the one I grab to type on the patio, in the bedroom, or at the coffee shop. My larger portables have their places aND don't get moved often.

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

23-11-2014 14:11:01  #3

All SF-based models have a rounded case, the SF De Luxe has a more angular case. It isn't a question of older or newer since both case types were sold at the same time, in fact the De Luxe was introduced only a couple of years after the SF.

Last edited by Uwe (23-11-2014 16:21:04)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2014 14:31:19  #4

Hi Uwe. I was talking about the SF model, which has two different designs. The original model was sometimes labeled as an Olympia Splendid or Socialite in the US, but the very first of these simply spelled out Olympia. They averaged maybe 9lbs. The later design by Demmel is written about in the OzTypewriter blog. Http://www.oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2012/10/on-this-day-in-typewriter-history_1572.html and is a truly fpat model but believed to be the same line by many.

There really was no shape difference in general between the early SM models, except for the SM1 to the SM2-5. I have often read made up definitions based on the very initials: SF = Style or Small Flat, SM = Style Medium, SG = Style Giant or Large. The initials are German as you know, and I don't speak German, so I assume these are made up interpretations.

Sorry if I confused folks the first time around.

Last edited by Liv2BTru2u (23-11-2014 14:48:13)

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

23-11-2014 16:20:12  #5

Liv2BTru2u wrote:

Hi Uwe. I was talking about the SF model, 

Yeah, so was I.  That was a typo in my post - I've since changed it from SM to SF. I bought a SM today and it was clearly on my mind when I typed my post.

Liv2BTru2u wrote:

I have often read made up definitions based on the very initials: SF = Style or Small Flat, SM = Style Medium, SG = Style Giant or Large.

They're not made up:
SF = Schreibmaschine Flach (flat typewriter)
SM = Schriebmaschine Mittelgross (medium typewriter)
SG = Schreibmaschine Gross (large typewriter).

Liv2BTru2u wrote:

The original model was sometimes labeled as an Olympia Splendid or Socialite in the US, but the very first of these simply spelled out Olympia.

The Splendid was not a U.S.-only machine, they were available internationally. The ones that just say Olympia are the actual SF models. And the comments in my previous post still hold true; there is no older/newer version of the SF, just the SF and SF De Luxe - two different models that were produced at the same time for many years.

Olympia, being one of my favorite brands, is one I'm extremely familiar with and I have extensively researched the SF range and all its various models and the evolution of its components. I wrote an in-depth spotters guide to all the SF models, and the complete SM range too, but haven't posted it yet because it will be a part of my typewriter website that I'm still putting together. Here's the title page for the article:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2014 16:50:48  #6

Oh boy do I want one of these to bring along when I go places! Not that I go anywhere that I would type, but I'd make places if I had such a cool portable! A question though...Does the De Luxe actually mean anything different than Olympias not labeled De Luxe?

23-11-2014 19:24:48  #7

Whoa, I missed a lot. And I keep forgetting to say that it's an SF DeLuxe. So is my SM-9. And Ektagraphic is right, what is the difference? But I have to say that this machine types weird. It feels almost mushy, but solid in structure. What does everyone else think about it's typing action? (Also, I found out that the typeface for the SF is the exact same as my SM-9. So this means I can switch between machines, and no one would notice!)

24-11-2014 21:20:07  #8

By the way, I think I found a new favorite typewriter (besides my SM-9 of course). I absolutely love this little machine. It's built like an Olympia but doesn't weigh as much as one. Which is the best thing ever.

26-11-2014 23:06:57  #9

Interesting points on the touch! If you love your SM-9, have you tried the SG-1? I loved the SM-9 best until I found the SG-1. These Olympias have typing action that can't be beat!

26-11-2014 23:38:26  #10

I really really really really really want an SG-1. But a) I can't find one b) I'm short on money and c) I have zero room anymore. I'm literally putting typewriters on the floor of my bedroom. So since my SM-9 is out of commisson, my SF is just a portable, I will just have to make my SM-4 perfect

Board footera