You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-11-2014 06:55:54  #1

Carbon paper

I love the stuff.  And it's still around, oddly.  One reason is that tattoo artists use it.  It is also thought (quite erroneously!) that sniffer dogs at customs can't smell through it, so I'll leave you to guess who else buys it!

Many don't know that it used to come in several different grades - or rather sesitivities; you could load several differnt grades of carbon interleaved with the blank papers so that the more sensitive grade was at the back, and would make a copy even through all the layers above it.

Carbon paper stories?

Sincerely,
beak.

29-11-2014 09:47:34  #2

Re: Carbon paper

Well, one use we have for carbon paper is science labs in physics. We use it to mark places where projectiles fall and whatnot. And is it bad that I took some home because it was only gently used?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-11-2014 10:27:30  #3

I just used a sheet last week to make a copy of what I was typing. I've always had the stuff kicking around, and it's suprising how many sheets you can accumulate from buying portable machines and finding them inside the travel case, but around a month ago I picked up a few packages of new carbon paper at the local office supply store when I was shopping for some interesting paper to use in my machines for letters. It is great stuff - to produce one or two copies - but nothing replaces the stencil when it comes to mass reproduction of what you're typing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-11-2014 20:10:58  #4

I too enjoy copy paper. It's just an interesting think to use. I enjoy writing on carbon forms too

04-2-2016 22:32:54  #5

Uwe, could you explain what you mean by stencil? I'm not familiar with it. (barely familiar with carbon paper)

05-2-2016 00:34:36  #6

When a typewriter is in stencil mode, the ribbon vibrator doesn't lift, and the typewriter's slugs are used to strike and cut their letters into special stencil paper. This stencil paper is then used in conjunction with something like a mimeograph machine to produce many copies of the original stencil sheet. This method was a predecessor to the photocopier, which is why so many typewriters (most?) have the stencil setting.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2016 13:09:35  #7

The stencil setting is also handy because it makes just enough of an indentation on normal paper to see where the text will land when you start typing for real. Very nice for forms.

05-2-2016 13:32:58  #8

I got to bite on some carbon paper yesterday at the dentist. 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

05-2-2016 15:07:25  #9

colrehogan wrote:

I got to bite on some carbon paper yesterday at the dentist. 

Funny, and yet it set shivers down my spine. My dentist always says "tap, tap, tap" when he uses that stuff. Fortunately, the last he did was for fitting a mouth guard...

05-2-2016 22:12:35  #10

JanetLand wrote:

The stencil setting is also handy because it makes just enough of an indentation on normal paper to see where the text will land when you start typing for real. Very nice for forms.

Great idea, thanks for sharing the tip!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

Board footera