You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-12-2014 08:07:29  #1

Help! 1962 Skyriter has problems!

Hi, I'll try to keep this brief. (Hi, by the way. This is my first post here although I've been reading the forum for a while. I've been learning a lot, very fast, about typewriters...)

I bought a lovely little Empire Corona skyriter off eBay, sent the seller packing instructions, and it arrived in perfect nick. Though less than perfect condition, & filthy. I cleaned it up, and unstuck the keys - just about every type bar was sticking, and I bent them all back into shape very carefully. The text is massively out of alignment though, shift characters well above the others. There is a red crescent under every apostrophe as the top of the 8 hits the red bit of the ribbon. There's a lot of shadowing on the text but that might be the crappy little ribbon I've put in? But I thought, I'll just take it in for a service and let the experts do this. 

Got it back yesterday - and it is nice and clean (but then it was when I took it in). The text still shadows; the upper case is still completely unaligned. The red moon still appears under the apostrophe. Nothing looks any different and in fact a couple of letters were sticking, so I've been gently bending type bars again! 

(Also, the riibbon cover really didn't want to click into place; it was just sitting on top and didn't really want to fit. I p ut this down to movement of the body in the process of taking it off and piutting it back on - & eventually got it to click into placet but it's not as good as when I took it in.)

But. This morning I typed put a poem on it, for a clean sample of text to take in to the shop. It looks okay, cute, with slightly wibbly letters, but with unaligned caps, red moons, and shadows. After that, I tried to type a paragraph. On the first line, the carriage started sticking. Every couple of characters in, the carriage just fails to move along when I hit a key. The space bar is useless. If I give the carriage a little jog, it sort of unsticks and moves a little, but then it sticks again with the next letter. 

In short, I now can't type on this machine at all. 

When I went to get it yesterday, I had forgotten the bag to carry it in (the one I had brought it into the shop in), and the guy gave me the typewriter with strict instructions to carry it flat. I told him I was going into town on rush hour buses, to teach, and then back again later, and that I'd do my best but had to get a bag. He said they were out of any bags of that size. So I carried it flat as far as the nearest supermarket and got a strong burlap shopping bag (same type as the one at home), which I then carefully carried it in throughout my evening. When I got home the carriage wasn't locked; I had been flustered in the shop, in a hurry, and there was some confusion over the price of the job, too, which had gone over 'service' and into 'repair', but no one had informed me of this... anyway, no one had offered me a chance to try out the machine, their counter is very high, and it hadn't occurred to me that they would hand me a typewriter in only its case with the carriage unlocked. (The tag also said 'no contact details', and I'm in their book TWO TIMES - as this is the second repair I've left with them - and have been ringing every week to find out how the machine is doing.)

I really don't want to go raise all this with them and have them tell me I've carried it wrong and it's an delicate old machine and these things happen. They seem like really nice serious guys who are dedicated to typewriters. They've both had flu. But my typewriter worked when I took it in, and now it doesn't.

Can I fix this carriage thing myself? 

What do I say to them? I need advice from someone who knows these things. My boyfriend is unsympathetic, said 'Oh, well', and said I should just whack it on eBay; but the thing has lost all its value, and I've just paid for this 'service'!

Clearly I need to take this up with the shop but I also don't want it to be awkward and negative, etc. Many thanks in advance for any insight or advice... 

Kat

10-12-2014 08:08:38  #2

Re: Help! 1962 Skyriter has problems!

Among other questions: You would just expect a 'service' to fix the alignment, right?

10-12-2014 11:02:51  #3

KatLondon wrote:

Among other questions: You would just expect a 'service' to fix the alignment, right?

Absolutely!

Based on the description of your service experience, I would never use that repair shop again - I'd even encourage you to post the company's name here as a warning to other typewriter owners who might be considering to use them. What exactly did they do to the machine if none of the issue that you brought it in for were addressed? And yes, not locking the carriage and telling you to carry a portable typewriter 'flat' are not good signs.

That's the bad news. The good news is that your machine is fixable and if you're a little patient you'll be able to get it in good working order. The first two things I would suggest is to post a photo of a type sample so we can see exactly what it's doing (see example below), and contact thetypewriterman; he's a member here who is also located in England and might be able to provide you with direct assistance. If he can't help then I'm sure the advice you get here will help in righting your machine's wrongs.

By the way, I assume this is the machine that you're talking about:

I quite like my 1962 Empire Skyriter and find it a very nice machine to use, although I have read a few opinions that were the exact opposite.

Type sample from the above machine. Creating these is always helpful when discussing type quality issues:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-12-2014 15:13:16  #4

Hi, wonderful reply, thank you! Yes, that's the machine exactly and if I can get it typing okay I'm going to love it. When I get home I'll upload the typing sample I did this morning; it hadn't (strangely) occurred to me to do that on here. It's the same typeface as above.

I hate to name and shame until I've spoken to them about it; & giving him credit, I think he may have said to carry it flat because the case has a broken handle and the zip's out on one side. I have two machines still to pick up (an Aristocrat that needed servicing - I'll ask to check it in the shop! - and a Hermes Baby that has worn teeth on the carriage rail apparently...), and need to go back tomorrow to get them, if possible. And I still owe them £10 of the fee for the Skyriter, so I need to sort that.

More when I get home. Thanks for the encouragement.

10-12-2014 17:43:39  #5

A bit mischevious this, but that shop you went to - was it in the 'East' of London by any chance ?  If so, it wouldn't be the first time I've had to sort out one of their expensive messes for a customer !

10-12-2014 18:57:44  #6

Hi, Typewriterman, and... er... ye-es... I've been meaning to get in touch with you, as it happens |(of course), but I am sort of also east Londonish and have no car. I thought it was so perfect, they are literally on th other end of a half-hour bus ride for me.

Here's how the typewriter's behaving on papr at the moment. I typed about two pages of other stuff before this all happened, it should be said. The type looked so bad when I got it home that I literally cleaned the typefaces last night. It was looking quite pretty this morning, almost, until it went.

This picture is really big, sorry...

10-12-2014 23:39:26  #7

The 'f' and 't' slugs (or the type bars) are bent and need to be straightened. As for the alignment issue, it looks to be all over the map, which makes me suspect an inconsistent use of the shift key instead of an actual alignment issue. You should type one line using the shift lock and see if that properly aligns the uppercase type. The spacing issue at the end of your type sample could indicate a gummed up escapement that needs cleaning. And the inconsistent type quality could be dirty slugs, a poor ribbon, or a combination of both.

What I find most odd about the type sample is the occasional dropped 'a'. I'm at a loss to explain that without examining the machine, but I'm sure thetypewriterman will have better idea of what is going on there.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-12-2014 07:24:31  #8

Hi Uwe,

Oh , the ribbon is rubbish (& the guy when he gave me the typewriter back told me it was silk, but no; I bought it off the internet for £2.89). Inconsistent use of the shift key - I just went and checked what I've typed on other machines and my capitals are consistent and even on them - but I had noticed that the shift on this one felt a bit difficult. It sort of doesn't feel quite right. Not heavy, more like - well I don't know what. But for comparison, I'm using an SM3 and that has a very heavy shift and I'm managing it fine.

I'm well aware that my typing is not perfect - I'm working on it - but it's better than what it looks like on this. (I think the dropped a's might be me not having a fully developed set of pinkie muscles... I'm trying to overcome a raft of terrible habits picked up on the computer, but that's another conversation.) I don't want to accuse them of something that isn't their fault, but the caps are sitting evenly on four other machines. So if there were something about the shift here, it should have been sorted in servicing?

Of course I can't type a whole line of anything at the moment; the problem with the carriage movement is clearly going to have to be the first thing. My big question is, what do I say to these guys? I need to go in in the next day or two and pick up the Aristocrat. anmd it has to be dealt with as I still owe them £10 of the fee for this service.

Ergghhh... thanks guys for taking this so seriously! 

11-12-2014 11:51:15  #9

I just acquired a Halda that has a similar issue with uppercase alignment. I know it's an issue with the shift mechanism, possibly dirt or congealed oil preventing it from actuating in a consistent manner, because the alignment is perfect if I use the shift lock - or I'm extra deliberate when pressing down on the shift key. 

With respect to the service centre, my first question is what did they originally charge you for? If it was to repair a problem that you're still experiencing you have every right to be upset with them. They should either fix the problem to your satisfaction or return your money; after all, if the machine is no different than when you first brought it to them, what proof is there that they did anything at all? Thetypewriterman appears to know of them, and I would default to the advice he gives you - and take your machines to him in the future... 

11-12-2014 11:57:11  #10

Thanks Uwe. I'm with you there. I'm really glad this issue prompted me to post here finally! 

Now, how do I find out how to fix the carriage problem? My money's all used up now for the mo; or maybe I'll have to just save up; technically I shouldn't be buying these things at all.

One thing for sure, I'll definitely be sending my little broken Swissa to typewiterman, when that time comes. 

Board footera